• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

Hi all,
I should get one of those. One of the few nicely flowering indoor plants in the right colours
it has given hundreds of plantlets to my family and friends over they years
If your saw one you liked, and a bit of stem was to fall off into your pocket, it would be very easy to root it.
Something is wrong!
My guess is that some of the lower stem has died and that is why the stems ("leaves") are shrivelling. Knock it out of the pot and see what you've got, it might be vine weevils.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

If your saw one you liked, and a bit of stem was to fall off into your pocket, it would be very easy to root it.

My guess is that some of the lower stem has died and that is why the stems ("leaves") are shrivelling. Knock it out of the pot and see what you've got, it might be vine weevils.

cheers Darrel
sound like my gran, she would have a knife and a poly bag in her pocket, only had a tiny garden outdid her flat, but the amount of cuttings from places like the Isabella in Richmond park and Kew she popped in her pocket over the years was impressive

though having listened to the Kew podcast, they have big issues with this and also removal of rare plants from the collections,

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
My son found a piece of plant in a garden center once he really liked. I told him he could take it in his pocket and we'd see if we could get it to root. He was so proud when it worked :) Lots of plants are easy like that luckily. I'll keep an eye out next time we're in a garden center ;)

Hi,

Newbie to the forum and just been looking around a bit more and saw this thread.

Like the OP @Michael W we used to have a good garden center nearby that had a good selection orchids but also a section for those plants and orchids that had lost their flowers and were being sold off for literally a £1 or so.
Sadly, not the case today!

Thought you might like to see some of the ones we rescued and were able to bring back into flower for several years.

000233.jpg

000234.jpg

000237.jpg

000238.jpg

000239.jpg

000240.jpg

000241.jpg

000243.jpg

000245.jpg

000236.jpg

Yesterday I inherited these two pots of orchids, what I know is the original single plant was purchased at least 40 years ago but possibly more like 60 years ago.
The pot was placed in a cold green house and eventually filled 6 pots but the lady has now died taking any futher information with her....
Apparently they dont like to much sun or heat and should be stood outside in the shade for 6 months and in a cold house in the winter, there is a sauser under the pots that must always have some water in it.
A lovely gift to me from a lovely old ladies son who has the other four pots.
54E2FB10-BD63-4F7D-BEF7-D16B48051528.jpeg
2E79FC5D-A3A5-439C-88BB-1203B49BB410.jpeg

Hi all,
The pot was placed in a cold green house and eventually filled 6 pots but the lady has now died taking any futher information with her....
Apparently they dont like to much sun or heat and should be stood outside in the shade for 6 months and in a cold house in the winter,
Now that is a lovely gift.

I'd probably stick with those growing conditions, it is a Paphiopedilum sp., but I don't know which one. They come from a wide altitude range so that there are warm, intermediate and cool growing species.

They need humidity, so keeping them cooler helps with that and also gives them a drier winter rest.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I think they might need dividing into four pots as they seem very crowded, I might just split one pot in a few weeks time and leave the other for the time being?
I was shown exactly where they were kept in the summer and winter so I feel ok about where to place them in my garden.
I can’t actually see any type of soil in the pots just a mass of roots.

what I know is the original single plant was purchased at least 40 years ago but possibly more like 60 years ago.
WOW that is crazy, lovely plants and cannot imagine keeping a plant for that long :) I am sure you will do them justice :)

Hi all,
Thanks Darrel, I think they might need dividing into four pots as they seem very crowded, I might just split one pot in a few weeks time and leave the other for the time being?
I'd go for that, one pot at a time and probably as soon as they've finished flowering. A little bit of searching found a name <"Paphiopedilum insigne">.
I can’t actually see any type of soil in the pots just a mass of roots.
This looks some <"good advice">.
and cannot imagine keeping a plant for that long
I've had this plant of <"Coelogyne cristata"> since 1986.

cheers Darrel

My 'boring' old orchid has flowered again from the same stem the last flowers came from. Its quite early too this year, usually it flowers later in the year. Normally the stem shrivels once all flowers are spend, but this time it remained green so I let it be. If it keeps doing this I'll need a very long stick to support it :)
20210730_152536.jpg
20210730_152419.jpg 🤣

Back