• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

SHOW YOUR SHALLOW TANK

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi all,

maybe some of you have seen that I want to build a shallow tank. Yesterday I was set on the height of the tank and wanted this dimension 50x40x25 cm. But I woke up this morning and started to think that maybe 25cm high will be too shallow, so now i am lost again hahaha.

So I have think about my UKAPS fellows and I am sure you can help me to choose.
I wanted you guys if you mind to post in this thread your shallow tank of 25 or 30 cm high like I can have an idea of the height and what can be done with that.

Hope that you will play the game and help me on that pleeeaaasee.

cheers and lets start the show off

Zanguli

Hi zanguli,

I think for a 50cm length tank 25 may be better as your tank isn't as long as most shallows we see, but, depending on how thick substrate you require you may be better opting for the 30cm.

Both mine and toms shallows were 30cm
8122046202_a740d9dbfa_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

asy5e2e3.jpg

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

im awaiting delivery of mine on the 14th August 100x40x30. ill do a journal with step by step pics for everything. keep an eye out for that unless you are moving on with this project sooner than that.
i have always shown the full story in my journals, highs and lows so to speak and im sure this will be the usual mix of success and disaster so should be interesting.

good luck with the project

Hi zanguli,

I think for a 50cm length tank 25 may be better as your tank isn't as long as most shallows we see, but, depending on how thick substrate you require you may be better opting for the 30cm.

Hi Alastair thanks for your pic mate ! Great tanks by the way !!!
I think you are right about the length vs height. For a 50 cm long it will have more shallow effect if I use a 25 cm height.
If I use 30 cm I think that the shallow effect would be "kill".
Hope it makes sense.
I think George had a 25 cm shallow tank no ?
I am starting to be impatient to build that tank lol

Thanks again

Hi, even at 25cm I'm not too sure you're going to get a shallow effect - its only 5cm less than my little tank that's 45cm wide. The ADA shallow tanks are only 18cm high at 60 and 45cm wide. Have you tried building a cardboard version to see if the proportions are what you had in mind?

Hi, if you are concerned about the overall look of the aquarium it might be helpful to look at tanks with a similar aspect ratio (not entirely sure its the right term). Your original 50 x 25 would be 2 :1, so have a look at the standard 54L 60x30x30 or ADA 90p (90x45x45). Personally that would be the maximum height to give a shallow overall look to the tank, I would be tempted to go shallower (or stretch it out to 60 x 25 instead).

At 50cm x 30cm would be 5:3 which would be akin to the US standard 29G, which to me looks like a tall tank. But it is entirely down to personal taste really, I have seen stunning tanks in all kinds of dimensions.

Although this doesn't take into account depth (front to back) I find its the front pane that can give the shallow effect

Hope this helps

Sorry you were asking for pics, here is my first attempt at 60x30x30cm, please excuse the scape (or lack of) but bare in mind the hood and bottom trim hide about 3-4cm of glass.
pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=59065&title=45_monthsc.jpg

Cheers

Nice bit of homework/research there zanguli-ya-zamba :D

Thanks guys for you help and for posting pictures.
Yes Troy that's good !
Thomas I decided to go with 25 cm even if it doesn't a full shallow effect.

Thanks again I will post picture of me building the tank.

Cheers

Hi zanguli,

View attachment 16874
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

What is the big bushy plant on the right? Did you grow it in soil or wood. I really like it.

Attachments

• 8122046202_a740d9dbfa_b.jpg
    8122046202_a740d9dbfa_b.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 85
Edit

Last edited:
Hi all,
Any idea mate how do you plant this. I believe this is sitting on top of some wood/bog wood but not sure.
You would need to keep the growing point above the water level and then the roots would spread down into the tank. I've grown <"Maranta leuconeura"> like that, they are related to Calathea spp. but a lot more forgiving.

I'll copy in @sciencefiction <"as well">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back