• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp acting weird in botanical setup

Courtneybst

I'm wondering if anyone can help me?

Yesterday I rescaped my planted nano and turned it into a botanical style. Only epiphytes and leaf litter.

This morning I've noticed some strange behaviour from my shrimp. I found loads of them desperately clinging to a piece of floating plant I added, as well as all four corners of the tank. I noticed one death and a couple doing that weird suspended in air-twirly motion as if somewhat stunned.

I tested the water and the ammonia and nitrite are coming in at 0, but the nitrates are very very high. So I'm doing a 50% water change as we speak, with some extra prime. I doesn't help that the tap water also has high nitrates but it's got to be better than what they are in now. Maybe I can do a second water change later tonight? Those water tests are also about to expire so it's hard to tell if it's legit.

I've added some dwarf water lettuce from my pond to help. I do wonder if the botanicals have affected the water in any way? I added 2 Jackfruit leaves and the Manzanita is leaching tannins too. I'm wondering if I've really upset the balance in the filter by reducing the plant load massively and the substrate?

The Corydoras seem to be fine, swimming and eating as usual. Shrimp are not eating their favourite food. Edit: some of the shrimp are eating, not all.

Any guidance appreciated.

49510608-D5AD-4BA3-8637-8707D6ACBF2A.jpeg
36CF2B93-8A79-4E2F-8ECD-4980DCEEB2C4.jpeg

I would be inclined to remove them into a temporary holding tank/container with fresh water - whatever they are normally in.

Did you buy any new plants? Could you have introduced pesticide (some plants are dipped for snails).

I would be inclined to remove them into a temporary holding tank/container with fresh water - whatever they are normally in.

Did you buy any new plants? Could you have introduced pesticide (some plants are dipped for snails).
I just did a 50% water change and they've all started acting normal again almost immediately. I'm wondering if I panicked prematurely.

No new plants added.

I just did a 50% water change and they've all started acting normal again almost immediately. I'm wondering if I panicked prematurely.

No new plants added.
I'd say, if you caught it with only one loss and they are now acting normally, you panicked at just the right time and averted a problem. Keep a close eye as if it is something leaching that's effecting them, it may build up again.

Where did you collect/get the leaf litter, is it possible there was leaf with a pollutant on it?

I'd say, if you caught it with only one loss and they are now acting normally, you panicked at just the right time and averted a problem. Keep a close eye as if it is something leaching that's effecting them, it may build up again.
Thank you, I will keep an eye!
Where did you collect/get the leaf litter, is it possible there was leaf with a pollutant on it?
I won the leaf litter from a competition. I think it was originally from Crowder's Aquatics but other than that I'm not sure if it's origin. I boiled and drained the water and then boiled again until it sunk.

Hi all,
I've added some dwarf water lettuce from my pond to help.
I'd probably keep the plants, at least until things have settled down. If it is co-incidental and unrelated to the botanical addition (<"emergency chloramine dosing etc.">) they will help with lowering ammonia and raising oxygen levels.
I do wonder if the botanicals have affected the water in any way? I added 2 Jackfruit leaves
<"Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)"> is full of antimicrobials and the wood is resistant to Termite attack etc. If the leaves were picked green and dried they might still contain all sorts of interesting chemicals, as well as sugars that might have impacted on oxygen levels.

That is partially why I like <"PYO structural leaf litter">, you can be very selective about leaf condition and collection site.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I'd probably keep the plants, at least until things have settled down. If it is co-incidental and unrelated to the botanical addition (<"emergency chloramine dosing etc.">) they will help with lowering ammonia and raising oxygen levels.

<"Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)"> is full of antimicrobials and the wood is resistant to Termite attack etc. If the leaves were picked green and dried they might still contain all sorts of interesting chemicals, as well as sugars that might have impacted on oxygen levels.

That is partially why I like <"PYO structural leaf litter">, you can be very selective about leaf condition and collection site.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel!

It could possibly be low oxygen level if you have disturbed a lot of organic material that then can kick the bacteria into overdrive and deplete the oxygen really quick. I had this issue on a tank once and the fish were gasping which made it obvious what had gone wrong

Back