• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp choice help :)

Sirkavu

Hey everyone.

I just re scape my 180L tank (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/dragonstone-forest-180l.56598/#post-551985) and brought my 34L to live.

I want to get some nice shrimps yet, I am very new to shrimps and their behaviour.

I have some Amano and I would like to have some more with them. I thought about cherry shrimp to add some colour at the bottom and....is it ok to have like 2 or 3 different colonies of shrimp? Like 20 Amano and 20 cherry and 10 Blue dream shrimp?

What other shrimps could i have?

My fish selection is (in case it matters - I know it does :D )
17 Neon Tetras (will upgrade to 20/25)
1 Golden Molly (upgrading to 4-6)
1 Pleco

Also wanted to add (might not):
6-10 Ottos
2-4 Pearl Gourami

Let mw know about the shrimps and any advice on other species is welcome :p:D

blue dream and red cherries are both neocaridina so will interbreed, it's not an issue but means you'll end up with weird and wonderful colours and some less colourful wild varieties

Might want to let the plants grow in before combining cherry shrimp and mollies - I'd imagine they'd definitely pick off babies and the move cover the happier the shrimp will be and more likely to maintain a colony.

blue dream and red cherries are both neocaridina so will interbreed, it's not an issue but means you'll end up with weird and wonderful colours and some less colourful wild varieties
Haha I’ll end up with rainbow shrimps :D

@tam yeah good point!

I will let it grow more and then add the cherry shrimps. At th moment I only have one molly and will add cherry shrimp once theology’s grow more and only after the rest of the mollies

Thank you :thumbup:

Does anybody have a few pointers with regards to the pearl gourami? I haven't kept them with cherry shrimp so will they be okay in Sirkavu's aquarium?

Gouramis and the mollie will harass shrimp and eat baby shrimp. Pleco might accidentally beat up some babies as well. Tetras will also go for shrimplets when they are very young. If you buy bigger amanos they will be fine, but the will need a place to hide. Adult cherry shrimp will most likely be fine but they will breed. If their babies have piles of small rocks, moss, thick plants and covered filter intake, with plenty of biofilm/detritus from a mature tank, they will survive in decent numbers. If you mix colors, the next generations will be less their original colors and more brown/transparent ( full color babies will be eaten more often as well) so you will have to take out undesirable colors. If you're satisfied with buying mixed colors and replacing them when they die of old age and don't mind bland looking babies, go nuts

Back