• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp eating Salvinia

The Salvinia has never grown that well in one of my tanks, a 37L Nano. I have had something of an explosion in the numbers of shrimp in my tank and they’ve taken a liking to eating it so I’ve just removed the skeletons of the last of it and introduced some more. This morning I came down and noticed this.

FED95A06-29D5-47C6-A9B1-F297E394BDCF.jpeg

A full grown black cherry munching on the new batch. Is this normal, I didn’t think cherry shrimp ate plants?

I always find my shrimp doing that but don't think they are actively eating it just grazing stuff from it. From your picture a lot of the leaves are under the surface and this will kill the plant so it's likely your shrimp are just going for decaying matter.

I should have taken pictures of the old stuff because the leaves were clearly eaten away. The stuff pictured is fresh from the shop, not sure why they’re not floating fully yet but they’re lovely and green and in good condition.

Back