• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Ghetto - Nano Shrimp & Snail Tank 14l

Re: Green Ghetto - Nano Shrimp & Snail Tank 14l

minnnt said:
The light will be fine mate. I have planned a Glosso carpet in mine. :lol:

I would limit the light to 8 hours max per day also.

Brillaint, 8 hours sounds perfect. May invest in a timer now. have it come on for when I get home from work.

IMO the rock on top of the branch wood just looks very "placed" and un natural. Just my opinion. Rock and branches are nice its just the juxtaposition you have in now that is kind of distracting... Maybe once it all grows in and is lush it will take on a more natural look.

WabiKasuH20Fall said:
IMO the rock on top of the branch wood just looks very "placed" and un natural. Just my opinion. Rock and branches are nice its just the juxtaposition you have in now that is kind of distracting... Maybe once it all grows in and is lush it will take on a more natural look.

:lol: Isn't that just to hold the wood down until it sinks of it's own accord? ;)

minnnt said:
WabiKasuH20Fall said:

:lol: Isn't that just to hold the wood down until it sinks of it's own accord? ;)

Yes, lol will be out in a week maybe.

P1000828.jpg

P1000827.jpg

P1000829.jpg

P1000830.jpg

Filter Arrived

This is a low tech tank, and I dont plan to fertiilise in the long run, however wondered if I could add ferts to get things going, plant are growing, and new shoots sprouting up, but tank looks a little light at min, and wanted to boost growth? Not sure if it is a bad idea actually, as if I was to stop would the plants suffer?

I have Easy Carbo, and El Salts that I can use, just wondered if I should feed the plants and then stop (and if the stop would have a detrimental effect?)

Since I added two guppy fry, growth has bumped up a little bit? And wonder if by adding shrimp (Guppys to be removed eventually, only added for nematode control) would boost growth? As I assume what they use in the water would be expelled for the plants? I do have a fair bit of snails in there already?

Westyggx said:
Hows this going on?

Well thanks bud, same as in the last pictures, 3-4 weeks on the xmass moss it shooting off, growing loads of new shoots. Willow moss is early days, and java fern and crypts growing be it slowly. Gave the glass a good clean last night. Looks a lot clearer which is nice.

Having major problems with TDS, think it may be down to my water conditioner, bumping water up to 400+ TDS. is 350 out the tap, but this should be ok for shrimp well Cherrys. And 300-350 was my target.

Snails seems to be laying eggs everyhere. Added two guppy fry who seemed to have taken care of the nemotodes. Not been feeding them, which forces them to investigate every crack and corner looking for a snack. Cant spot any, but really hope they dont return. Think I may move them onto my 25l which seems to have copepods now :crazy:

Just waiting on some mesh as have some Fissendens ready to go in, once atttached. Flame moss too. And pelia bought already on mesh but in qaurentine to make sure I dont introduce aliens and or algae spores. Slowly but surely.

Ordered some yellow shrimp, which should be with me this evening, so hopefully they will be going in tonight :) Cant wait.

Shrimp have been in a week now, first night or two saw lots of shed skin from moulting, assume the new water encouraged it.

I bought some ferts (API Leaf Zone, Seachem Flourish (many Thanks EasertheGeezar)) off here (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22042) for a few quid, even though its a low tech, seeing I paid little for them, and the small volumn of tank, thought I could add a little help for the plants to begin with. Mind the bottle would prob last a few months, if I dosed twise a week at 2ml. I hear the Florish is more of a complete fert, but thought in the low tech API would suffice?

Dosed some API Leaf zone already, but even before the tank was looking well, the Crypts are really looking good, looking more perk from when I introduced them. Maybe the leaf zone is helping.

Mosses taking off, and willow is the same, slow but getting there. Wll be adding my Fissedens, and some flame moss in the coming nights. Got Pelia just growing a litle first on window before it goes into the tank.

Ordered some cattapa leaves for shrimp. Its beginning to look busy in there now whereas before it looked a little bare.

Some pics
P1000850.jpg

P1000839.jpg

P1000840.jpg

P1000841.jpg

Camera just isnt cut out to take small zoomed in shot it seems, only a point and shoot, still prob an option that does it better, top notch Panasonic Lumix TZ camera, it must have.

sr20det said:
Camera just isnt cut out to take small zoomed in shot it seems, only a point and shoot, still prob an option that does it better, top notch Panasonic Lumix TZ camera, it must have.
Ive got the TZ20....its rubbish indoors or at macro. My old TZ3 (i think) was miles better but it broke, hence splashing out on the TZ20...at least its good for family day out shots and HD video!
Love those little yellow shrimp :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
sr20det said:
Ive got the TZ20....its rubbish indoors or at macro. My old TZ3 (i think) was miles better but it broke, hence splashing out on the TZ20...at least its good for family day out shots and HD video!
Love those little yellow shrimp :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Well I got the TZ4, its old now, but bought it 3 yrs ago exactly, when the TZ5-6 came out, the 4 came up on offer and I snapped it up, it was brilliant campared to previous Fuji's (had 3 before the Lumix) and Casio (never again, was better then the Fuji mind) cameras I had before it. In all honesty this beats all I have used, and am now a Pan Lumix fan. Outside and general point and shoot pics are brill, on holiday, party and the like, small enough to have on my belt or hanging on some shorts. Just a brill camera, and I would go for the TZ20 or 22 is out or something.

But nowt wrong with this. I have a cheap 12mp Fuji I bought to take pics in the Garage of car work, and didnt fancy using my Lumix with grubby fingers so got one from Argos outlet for 50quid half price apparently. New too and one of the latest budget offering from Fuji. Not a patch on the Panasonic even though the resolution is 3 times of the Panasonic.

Shrimp pics, SLR would be useful here, just dont have one. :(

Westyggx said:
Where did you get the cattapa leaves from mate?
EBay, got both seeds and leafs, will try growing. But success might be slim.

Leaf, guy selling nano leafs for 4 quid I think it was for 20. If one lasts a month or so. 20 should last a year.

Back