• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp images.

Mark Evans

Expert
A few to share. I must admit, using a lens so close to the glass is tuff! The more I zoom in the harder it gets, but here goes.

The first 2 are normal ish kind of pics and the 3rd is my fave. not the sharpest, but one a bit more 'arty'

controlling DOP field is near an impossibility, but i always like the 'bucket' (hyacinth) :lol: I get from this lens.

shrimpyclose.jpg

Theeyes.jpg

The little cretin looked straight at me breifly....

whatyoulookingat.jpg

cheers peeps! :D

wearsbunnyslippers said:
those photos are crazy! you have awesome skills!

cheers WBS :thumbup:

here's the last decent one of the many i shot. kinda reverse of the last shot.

eyes.jpg

one of the problems I'm encountering is, if i don't get smack in the line of fire ( i cant be angled to the tank at all) i don't get the shot. Another problem is the shrimps have a protective coating over the eye which again, if i'm wrong with the angle, it gives a soft sheen to the eye. a real pain i must admit.

once I set a shrimp tank up, I should really get to grips with the shooting. also i can leave the photography gear set up and shoot at will.....who's will? :p as opposed to setting up and tearing down after 20 minutes. :?

samc said:
fish and shrimp allways look amazing close up. shows what we miss out on.

true. I've just set up a shrimp tank, so I can shoot till my hearts content.

viktorlantos said:
what a beauty detail on this tiny shrimp. top qual shot Mark

thanks mate. :thumbup:

Mark Webb said:
Stunnerts Mark :thumbup: Which lens are you using here?

hi mark. it's the canon MP-E 65mm f2.8. it's a dedicated macro lens, which does one trick and one trick only....close. :D

Jase said:
That last pic is the mut's nuts! :clap:

cheers jase

john starkey said:
Those are some sick shots mark,

cheers Mr S 8)

here's a cherry shrimp shot. I've up loaded the original sized file and a crop from that image.

cherry-1.jpg

crop.jpg

having a nano really lets me get the lighting right.

saintly said:
Mark Webb said:
Stunnerts Mark :thumbup: Which lens are you using here?

hi mark. it's the canon MP-E 65mm f2.8. it's a dedicated macro lens, which does one trick and one trick only....close. :D

Yes I know the lens well, I had a hunch that may be what you are using.

The cherry shrimps look good (and big) enough to eat! Did you use any external flashes over the tank? Or just purely with the tank lighting? I've got a 100mm macro but my tank has a hood, so its quite difficult to get flashes over the top of the tank since I don't have any lightstands.

flygja said:
so its quite difficult to get flashes over the top of the tank since I don't have any lightstands.

you'll have to improvise somehow.

This lens requires quite ridiculous amounts of light. to the point that when the modelling lights are on and close to the water surface (just to view things through the view finder) it actually burns the back of your hands. :p

for these i got....

iso 50
shutter 1/200
f11

you can see the difficulty in getting sharp images. i shot about 200 shots to get these. (2, ones a crop )

That said though, this is just for this lens. normal macro lens' should be fine if you bump up the ISO. try to add as much light as you can for good shutter speeds, even with slowish moving shrimps.

Back