• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp mix?

Manrock

I have Cherry Red shrimps in my planted tank but loved the look of some of the other species that I saw at Aquatics Live. Thinking of Crystal Reds really. Can I add a different variety of shrimp to my tank? Will they just inbreed and I'll loose the variation within a few generations?

Cheers

Hi, you can mix neocaridina shrimp eg. Cherry shrimp with caridina species such as crystal reds without interbreeding. However, you shouldn't mix neocaridina species with other neocaridina species, as they will interbreed and will revert back to wild colourless varieties. Hope this helps. I have a book with a shrimp cross breeding chart which is useful. I'm sure the chart is online somewhere I'll try and find a link for you.

Great stuff - thanks a lot Matty. Just looked at the price of Crystal Red's - they are really expensive! I guess I'll need at least 15 to get a good colony going. Anyone found a good supplier?

That's really helpful and has made me rethink the idea of Crystal Reds! They sound too delicate for me. I'll try to find a more robust species that won't interbreed with the Red Cherries. Any ideas anyone?

What about getting some amano shrimp. They are really easy to keep and won't interbreed with the red cherries. The only thing is that the amano shrimp won't reproduce in freshwater as the eggs need brackish water to hatch.

Back