• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp on a plane!

BigTom

I'm off to the Netherlands for a few days at New Year, and seriously considering smuggling back a few shrimp in my hold luggage. As far as I can tell it isn't illegal to bring small numbers of tropical shrimp into the country from Europe for personal display, but it is definitely against the airline's TnCs.

What do you reckon the chances are of getting away with a dozen or so shrimp in a, say, a litre water bottle in checked baggage is? Am I an idiot for even considering it? :lol:

Is there a good reason to do it mate, You might get away with it but on the other hand you could spend hours getting questioned over it. They might even take them off you and possibly destroy them.

Last time i went on a plane (4 months back) my hand luggage was put through a scanner like everyone else, and im 99% sure your not allowed liquids in your bag which have been opened.
so depending on what kind of tub your using with water inside i'd be careful as they may take it out to look.
and the last thing you want is them taking it, then questioning you for 30 minutes and then destroying the shrimps.

MrLarner said:
Last time i went on a plane (4 months back) my hand luggage was put through a scanner like everyone else, and im 99% sure your not allowed liquids in your bag which have been opened.
so depending on what kind of tub your using with water inside i'd be careful as they may take it out to look.
and the last thing you want is them taking it, then questioning you for 30 minutes and then destroying the shrimps.

They'd be in hold luggage.

BigTom said:

They would probably get x-rayed a few times, chucked around on a number of conveyors / baggage carts and depending on whether the hold is heated for your flight possibly very cold. I'm not sure they would make it, and while I don't know the legalities of importing them I would have thought they would need to go through the normal quarantine process?

I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle / risk.

BigTom said:
MrLarner said:

even hold luggage gets checked mate, im assuming when you say hold luggage you mean hand luggage?
the smaller bag which you can keep with you on the plane?
that gets checked and put through the scanner as well.

MrLarner said:
BigTom said:
MrLarner said:

even hold luggage gets checked mate, im assuming when you say hold luggage you mean hand luggage?
the smaller bag which you can keep with you on the plane?
that gets checked and put through the scanner as well.

Nope, I mean luggage that goes in the hold :lol:

Back