• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp-proofing the Fluval flex 57L filter section

Protopigeon

Hey folks

I hope you're all safe and well

I've had a Fluval 57L Flex set up for a while and my Crystal Reds are breeding well. However, during a recent water-change I noticed a few juvenile shrimplets in the first and second chambers (from left to right). I managed to fish them out with a tiny net. They seemed happy enough in there btw. Today I notice the same thing.

When I initially bought the tank I was scared of this happening so I put some filter floss behind the standard semicircular guards to stop the shrimplets escaping. Job done I thought. But it turns out that was a TERRIBLE idea, and it's a good job I was at my desk the next day when the tank started overflowing onto the desk and laminate floor! Don't use filter floss for this!

After that incident I replaced the floss with a fine plastic mesh which I bought for a moss wall in another tank. This doesn't leak (yay) but they are obviously still able to escape into the filter chambers at the back somehow.

Does anyone know if there's a better solution to stop shrimplets escaping this tank that anyone's found, apart from just using a sponge filter instead?

Cheers

I think you're likely right, but I'm wary of going too fine with it in case it floods again.

Also I've put extra biological media bags in the first chamber but I think those could possibly come out and I'd still be ok for filtration. I do wish there was a flow reduction on the pump but hey ho.

Cheers

I found even when I blocked those guards with suitable sponge bits, shrimp happily climbed up and over, leapt over ... happy shrimp on the filter sponges :)
Individual shrimp seemed to have no difficulty traversing between tank - filter - tank

Check your pump, Fluval usually has a flow switch (not that it gives much range) though some Flex tanks have shipped with a fixed flow pump

Cheeky little beggars hopping over for the good sponges

I might try some finer sponge. My pump doesn’t have any flow control on but they don’t seem to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back