• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Rack build.....

basil

Hi,

I decided to tidy up my shrimp tanks and consolodate them into 2 shrimp racks.

Racks, custom made tanks, pumps, filters, lights, substrates have all been delivered so I thought I'd share some of my learnings along the way.

Will get some pic's up over the weekend and report my progress. Hopefully others can use some of the lessons I've learnt along the way.........

Back soon,

Mike.

TEASE?!!!

mate you can't do that, you have to post pics straight away haha

Subbed.

Something like this was on my project list a while back. As I have issues with RCS I've gone off the idea. A rack of smaller tanks for breeding small stuff such as CPD's is still on the cards.

Looking forward to see how you put it all together.

Lol, just looking at it all now.......seemed like a good idea, but wondering why on earth I've inflicted this DIY project on myself!!!! Anyway, where's my drill.....

Evening,

Right, here goes the set up of my first shrimp rack!

Firstly, justification for the rack. I've been into shrimp keeping for a good few years now, starting with the usual Cherry Shrimp in a heavily planted 120l tank. I bought my first 10 shrimp off ebay, at the time only really to help control algae and can remember the day they came clearly. Carefully removing the bag from the small box they were shipped in and holding it up against the window to view my new shrimp - i can remember thinking my god, these things are tiny! I put them into the tank [joining about 30 tetras!!] and didnt see anything of them for about 6 months. In hindsight, i suspect most were eaten and a couple of the survivors must have bred.......From there my shrimp colony steadily grew and the fascination took over as more species became available. Roll on a few years, more tanks and many coins spent inbetween i now want to condense my tanks into a pair of racks to house them all.

My current shrimp collection comprises Crystal Red, Crystal Blacks, Snow Whites and Goldens, Cherry, Painted Red Cherry, Yellow Fires, Simoni and more recently some interesting Blues and Wine Reds offspring from the CRS/CBS. So i wanted mulitiple tanks in order to continue and get the best from my shrimp going forward.

F1756BA5-772F-4909-8C33-DD7D3011AEEC-1184-000001CC715347F6.jpg

The racks were being situated either side of a chimney breast, each alcove measuring less than a metre wide. I knew how many tanks i wanted and that each tank needed to be around 60l in size, so i quickly pulled together my shopping list for the first rack:-

Heavy Duty Boltless Steel Rack
Bought off ebay, this was sold as having a shelf capacity of 260kgs per shelf. I reckoned that each of my shelves would need to hold about 160kgs max, so this was easily going to be more than man enough - WRONG! Although the steel frame is very good, the shelves supplied were not. At only 6mm thick and made from particle board, there was no way that these shelves were going to hold my tanks. They were flexing like a Rolf Harris 'Wobble Board' and I know that particle board+water = disaster. I ended up replacing the shelves supplied with 15mm Birch Ply which i coated with Yacht varnish. I'm very happy with the Birch Ply - seems solid.......so far!

Tanks
I wanted min 60l tanks for my rack. In my experience, anything less than 60l is hard to keep stable for shrimp. Custom built tanks ordered accordingly from Midland Aquatics. Back panel for each tank painted black - CBA with the black background on a roll as i hate the bubbles and messing about with sticky tape to hold in place. I used blackboard spray for mine as it adheres to glass very well. Very happy with the results.

null_zpsc1862118.jpg

Lighting
Each shelf is lit by a single 39w Daylight T5. Each tube costing a tickle over £3 from Lampspecs [thanks to JamesC for his post on cheap lighting!!] and mounted on refelctors which are firmly held into position using industrial strength velcro. The tube and reflector are both very light and the velcro is more than adequate for this. I went for aquatic starter units as i wanted to feel safe with moisture resistant end caps.

null_zpsfeec866e.jpg

Next step, adding substrates, pumps and filters etc. Will post up again later this week.

Cheers,

Mike.

Afternoon,

Time is tight just now, but managed to grab a few hours working on the rack over the weekend.

Substrates

3 of the 4 tanks on this rack will house Neocardina sp, so i've used a simple inert Black Quartz Gravel 2-3mm grain size. The gravel is a touch bigger than i would have liked ideally, but still very pleased with the inky black look and I'm hopefull this will contrast well with my shrimp.......especially my colony of Fire Reds and Yellow Neons. I used 25kgs over 3 tanks, this gives a nice depth and allows a nice slope to the back of each tank.

The 4th tank will have CRS, so i've bought Ebi Gold Shrimp soil for this tank. A single 5l bag was not really enough, so I'll be odering a 2nd bag to get the depth i need in order for this active substrate to do it's job. A shade lighter in colour compared to the black quartz gravel, but i really like the grain size and round shape to the granuals. Ebi Gold shown on tank to the right of this image:-

null_zps49e76201.jpg

Filters

I've used simple sponge filters in these tanks. Each filter is suitable for tanks upto 120l, so they are overkill but i like plenty of surface aggitation in my tanks to improve dissolved oxygen levels. I'm running 4 filters off a single Eheim 400 air pump, which will also drive 4 airstones.

Water

My tap water is actually quite close to what i want. pH is around 6.5, gh 4-5 and tds 150. So, although the majority of CRS keepers use RO water and add back in the minerals etc, the last thing i want to do is kill the water that i have coming through the taps by running it through an RO filter. Instead, I use a simple 3 stage HMA filter, which will remove any harmfull heavies which are often present in tap water, but leave the other parameters alone. Took me ages to do this, filling a series of buckets and then pouring into each tank but i got there in the end! At least i have piece of mind in knowing that the water in each tank is sweet from the start! I'll add in coral chips / cuttle bone, almond leaves and mineral plus to fine tune each tank according to what's going in each.

null_zpsdf07e37f.jpg

Thats it for now......hopefully tonight i can rig up the airpump to filters and add in a few bits to help kick start the bacteria colonies in sponges.

Back soon.......

Mike.

Hi Nathan - just been allowing the filters to mature......Aim was to get shrimp in early jan, but i'm running a couple of weeks late due to christmas / new year. Tanks had been running for 7 weeks and were nicely mature. First shrimp went into one of the Neo tanks at the weekend. Following morning, 8 were dead and the others have been dropping steadily since. Pretty much lost all of my fires and simmoni from a decent colony of both in less than a week :sick:

To be honest since December I've been experiencing small losses with most water changes. I've never done heavy water changes, instead prefering 10% weekly or in some cases twice weekly. I'd noticed a fair whiff of chlorine / chemical scent for the last couple of months whenever i run the taps in the house. I can't be 100% sure, but i suspect water authorities have been adding something different recently in South Cheshire area. I ran all of the water through HMA as usual and dosed with Seachem to remove any chlorine traces, but something seems to be killing off my shrimp at the moment. CRS are all ok, but breeding suddenly stopped about the same time as i noticed the tap water change......coincidence maybe.........?

All the other usual suspects are clear, no co2 injection, zero nitrate / nitrirte / ammonia. Ph balances, TDS perfect, temps same.........a real head scratcher. But until I've figured out whats happened to my tap water the other shrimp transfer to racks are firmly on hold. They can stay in the safe tanks for now and I'll maybe switch to mineral water top ups for a while.

Out of interest I wonder if anyone else in cheshire area experiencing unexplained shrimp deaths after water changes?

I'll get some pics of tanks up tomorrow. They look great...........shame about the water issue setback! Lol

Hey mate,
Thats not great at all, its odd how shrimp seem to be fine one minute and bad the next.

I do use RO myself, as my water is too hard for CRS shrimp. Which Coincidentally aren't breeding either, I cranked the heater up 1 degree to 22 and they seem to be a lot happier . They were doing their mating swims round the tank, so fingers crossed :lol:

This looks like when you'll get your issues sorted, that it will be a great setup.

All the best mike,

Hi Nathan - just been allowing the filters to mature......Aim was to get shrimp in early jan, but i'm running a couple of weeks late due to christmas / new year. Tanks had been running for 7 weeks and were nicely mature. First shrimp went into one of the Neo tanks at the weekend. Following morning, 8 were dead and the others have been dropping steadily since. Pretty much lost all of my fires and simmoni from a decent colony of both in less than a week :sick:

To be honest since December I've been experiencing small losses with most water changes. I've never done heavy water changes, instead prefering 10% weekly or in some cases twice weekly. I'd noticed a fair whiff of chlorine / chemical scent for the last couple of months whenever i run the taps in the house. I can't be 100% sure, but i suspect water authorities have been adding something different recently in South Cheshire area. I ran all of the water through HMA as usual and dosed with Seachem to remove any chlorine traces, but something seems to be killing off my shrimp at the moment. CRS are all ok, but breeding suddenly stopped about the same time as i noticed the tap water change......coincidence maybe.........?

All the other usual suspects are clear, no co2 injection, zero nitrate / nitrirte / ammonia. Ph balances, TDS perfect, temps same.........a real head scratcher. But until I've figured out whats happened to my tap water the other shrimp transfer to racks are firmly on hold. They can stay in the safe tanks for now and I'll maybe switch to mineral water top ups for a while.

Out of interest I wonder if anyone else in cheshire area experiencing unexplained shrimp deaths after water changes?

Not sure if manchester use the same supply but I lost all my crs recently after 6 months with no problems. But I put it down to a dead zebra snail rotting..

Sussed it!! Not great news, but it's the gravel used in the 3 neo tanks....DAH! Warning to you all, if buying black quartz gravel be very, very careful that you ain't buying dyed gravel. After a bit of research, it appears to contain copper and other nasties that should be avoided at all costs. If you can get pure, inert quartz and be 100% then you are ok. I've used it in the past without problem, but seems this last 25kg bag i has was not and the ebay seller i got it from had incorrectly sold as pure quartz.

Snails dying within a day, pelia becomes washed out mush within a couple of days and the shrimp that have gone into these tanks all died.

Oh, well it's all about learning and as long as can learn something, I'm happy. All of the 50 crystals that went into the tank using EBI Gold have survived, so pretty conclusive.

Stripping the 3 neo tanks out tonight, starting again.

Back