• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Rack build.....

At least you have solved the problem shame when the gravel you orderd was not as labeled hope your back on track as am enjoying reading this.Cheers Mark

That's a shame mate. Good attitude though mate, keep pushing on :)

Cheers guys - not the end of the world....well maybe it was for quite a few shrimp, but living and learning. I lost a colony of snowballs due to pesticides on plants many years ago, and i didnt get caught by that again either!

I would have been a bit more depressed if it was my CRS colonies though!!

Very keen to see how this is going as well.

Sorry for the lack of updates.........been mad busy at work and to be honest, I wanted to observe the tanks a bit longer before i stripped down the bad un's, just to be sure. I've droppped a few pond snails in the suspect tanks with similar results, dead within a few days. The crystals however are growing FAST, are really active and are showing great colour, so I'm now sure 'twas a bad gravel' thang for the neo tanks :dead:

One thing that I didn't say previously [and I'm in no way linked to Ebi or the boys at Freshwatershrimp!!] is just how clear the water is when using Ebi substrate. I'm really very impressed, i didn't get the usual milky new tank syndrone water at any point. The tank remains bang crystal clear.........really nice! I've previously always used ADA, but I think I've just found a new favourite! No way to demonstrate this via pictures on forum, but it's good tackle!!

Just had a new toy, a Canon 550D so will take some snaps of the happy shrimp this weekend and post up.

Cheers,

Mike.

Tbh, I've been so impressed with the Ebi soil that I'm going to use this for my neo tanks. I'll just use a stocking of coral chips and cuttle to raise ph and increase the gh level to their preferred range.

Cheers mike.
Hi Mike,
with regards the coral chips and cuttle, have you used this method before? I'm sure you will have, and are most likely opting for them as a more cost effective solution to get the water conditions you need with multiple tanks.
I only ask as I once used a product called Lithaqua (fossilised coral etc) to raise hardness, and i found it very diffucult to regulate the rises in hardness as such products tend to just dissolve until gone which continues to raise the perameters. I now much prefer to add a known quantity of GH boost such as the salty shrimp range (also from freshwatershrimp) to maintain a constant for the shrimp.
Just a thought, but like I say, you've most likely used the coral and cuttle method before.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Sorry Nath, I like to create suspense!!! Lol

Well, actually that's just an excuse! Just been crazy busy at work with no time for proper update.

Promise a full photo update etc this week :)

Sorry Nath, I like to create suspense!!! Lol

Well, actually that's just an excuse! Just been crazy busy at work with no time for proper update.

Promise a full photo update etc this week :)

Yay!

Sorry lads, work is mad, throw in a couple of kids for good measure, oh......and also been a tad little distracted with someone pursueding me with some KK's and Ruby's to go with my Taiwans. That's my problem, not finished one project before I'm investigating the next!!

Anyway's, not a great deal to report on the rack really sorry. I've moved about 80 odd Taiwans into the 'good' 60l tank on the rack from the original low tech planted moss / Rotala tank and I'm allowing the 3 restart tanks plenty of time to mature. Transfer shrimp are growing quickly and moulting regular, so at the moment they seem to be happt in their new home.

Having suffered shrimp kills in the past, I'm little ocd with shrimp and the latest loss from bad gravel is really not helping!! The 3 disaster tanks that had the dodgy gravel have now all been stripped back, totally drained, filter sponges ditched, glass cleaned, dried and cleaned again.Not taking any chances with copper traces. If it was in the bad tanks it's now in the bin! I've decided to replace the substrate in these 3 tanks with Ebi Gold, rather than inert gravel....will explain reasoning for this again. These 3 new restart tanks will run in for plenty, plenty of time to make sure all is mature and ready. As usual, I've not gone for the many hocus pocus powders, lotions, med's etc to seed the tanks. Just good old fashion time, backed up with a nice spread of mature leaf litter and moss. I'm hoping to introduce the next batch of shrimp mid April to these tanks. In the mean time, this is how they look:-

'Happy' Mixed Taiwan Shrimp Tank:-

ny6u4apy.jpg

vyheseza.jpg

New Tanks......getting ready for new shrimp:-

Bit of a handfull this shrimp keeping!! I should have kept to Tetra'a, Cory's and fly fishing!

Another quick update, I've gone completetly mad and bought the King Kongs. I just couldnt resist the offer that Lucas at Sharnbrook has at the moment - 20% discount for UKAPS members. Still not cheap shrimp, but £10 per shrimp off the usual price is a cracking deal!!

debusuba.jpg

a2e5aza7.jpg

Plan is to try and cross my blue tinted golden and snows with the KK to see if i can get Blue Panda offspring.

2e6asada.jpg

Back