• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Safe Inlet Height

Hi All,

Question, How high would your filter inlet need to be in order to prevent shrimp getting sucked into the filter?

I have bought a mesh filter guard but after having spent the money on a glass inlet Ive decided I dont like the eyesore! I have seen Inlets that are designed to sit at high water level (presumably to keep shrimp out), but I dont yet have one.

Ive been playing with mine tonight and have managed to get mine to sit at a higher level than it usually does by resting the suction cup on the rim of the tank.

How far above the substrate level would an inlet need to be in order to prevent shrimp getting sucked in (more so shrimp babies because the holes in the inlet are very thin) Mine can sit 12.5cm above substrate and 7.5 above the rough level of the plants. Is this enough?

V6ZlZH5.jpg

Same as Tim shrimp will be found grazing at all levels of the tank especially from the filter & will find a way in if not covered
Lovely tank as well :)

Reactions: tim
Im looking at my CRS as i type.
In one tank with a 18ins spray bar, half out the water, there are presently over a dozen grazing on it, most in and out of the water.

My breeding tank with a hang on liberty external, is full of them.
It amazes my how they climb up the two return water outlets, against the flow, and enter the filter and graze for hours on the media, before returning to the tank. Unharmed.

Really entertaining to watch them.

Reactions: tim
Its unbelievable how they manage it sometimes you think you have it well shrimp proofed & when you check the filter there always seem to be shrimp in there :)

Back