• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

SteveUK said:
Lovely looking tank mate :) Inspiring me to think about a shrimp tank again, seeing as my last one didn't really work too well...
Many thanks, the red cherries are doing great and breeding very well, just spotted a lot of new shrimplets yesterday, very tiny one almost naked to the eye, and a couple of female cherries with eggs so more to come.
Lets hope I can breed the CRS this time round, one of them was already carrying eggs so fingers crossed there. :)
What happened to your tank?

Tanks Aaron :)

My cherries died off over a few weeks. I think it might be the dechlorinator I use (pond stuff). I suspect I was using too much as it's very concentrated. My amanos seemed fine in the same tank.

SteveUK said:
My cherries died off over a few weeks. I think it might be the dechlorinator I use (pond stuff). I suspect I was using too much as it's very concentrated. My amanos seemed fine in the same tank.
Shame that was, my cherries doing fine even when I noticed temps over 30ºC but by the time I got the fan and did water changes and stuff was too late to save the CRS. Now with the cooler weather shouldn't have a problem (hopefully).

Love my little shrimplets so here are a couple more photos :)

Both shots on the Xmas moss:
pict0006ya4.jpg

This one with a little snail too :)
pict0008dw0.jpg

The RCS seem to be settling in pretty well, with the fan going I can maintain the temp at 22/23ºC.

Thanks for looking.

Well just a quick update, got some twigs and put it in the tank to break the mass of green lol
Here is the outcome, what do you guys think???

pict0118yn4.jpg

pict0121tz5.jpg

pict0133qc1.jpg

pict0152wo4.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Not much happening here other than the Red Cherries breeding like rabbits!! Last time I counted it was about 60 or more shrimplets in there of various sizes and the females are carrying eggs. The CRS are doing well to but so far no news on them breeding, I haven't seen the female carrying eggs since I put her in the tank.

Some photos:
pict0065av4.jpg

pict0006pv2.jpg

pict0049ts4.jpg

pict0051az9.jpg

CRS:
pict0038nr5.jpg

pict0054mz5.jpg

pict0058io7.jpg

pict0060ot7.jpg

pict0062ps4.jpg

Thanks for looking, critics and comments always welcomed :)

what are you planning to do with the babys i can take some off your hands for a healthy sum...

also what size are the holes in you plastic mesh for you moss wall as i wantd to try one but the smallest size mesh my local hardware shop has is 6mm i tried it with riccia last time but the riccia kept escaping through the holes

IMO tqigs look good it sort of looks like the edge of a bank of a river... did you have to treat the twigs before you put them in?

aaronnorth said:
The twigs are great, perfectly positioned!

I like to all green tanks, if done properly it can look very good. not sure about the rock under the bridge though :?

If I'm honest, I don't really like that rock either, or the other one to the right. I just don't think they look quite right but it's still a great tank though, especially since adding the twigs!

Thanks for the reply guys, I didn't plan anything for this tank to be honest, I just threw in everything I had laying around that was spare and just created a nice environment for the shrimp, maybe I should really sort out the rocks, get some proper stuff for this tank to make it better eye pleasing ;) the shrimp seem to love it lol :p

Ark to answer your questions, I got the mesh of ebay, the 6mm seems fine, just attach the moss to the mesh with cotton thread don't sandwich it between two meshes, then you see no mesh and becomes a hit straight away thats what I did, otherwise you will have to wait about 8 months for the moss to cover the mesh, and the way I did it, it was covered on day one ;), regarding the twigs I didn't do anything with them, just threw them in.
The cherries will eventually be for sale to forum members at a cheap rate really, I was thinking 15 for a tenner, will see. Just have to find out some cheap packaging materials to make it worth it.

Have a suprise for this tank today, this morning I headed over to MA @ Morden to pick up some nice Cardinal Sulawesi shrimp, wow I just love them :) brought 10 in the end and hopefully they will do well in the tank and will also breed. Here some photos of the new babies :)

These were in the maternity unit, before I let them loose:
pict0003ib5.jpg

pict0004ed5.jpg

pict0005pr5.jpg

Now loose in the tank:
pict0033to9.jpg

pict0037qm0.jpg

pict0070lk0.jpg

pict0054gk5.jpg

pict0104fz0.jpg

pict0027xr4.jpg

pict0182ru1.jpg

Think thats enough photos for one day! lol :) I will try and get better photos these are too good!

oh dude im jealous. i want nice shrimps.

actualy you might be able to help. 2 weeks ago i had 3 up the duff shrimp. there now dead! the others that werent pregas are fine. is this normal?

those shrimp look great my local MA has them to baby ones £2.50 each,
how many shrimp do you have in total now?

Are the twigs ones from the garden? if so do they have to be completley dead before you stick them into the tank so all the moss and stuff on it has fallen off...

how long did you cycle the tank before you put the shrimp in cuz i read they are highly sensative to nitrates etc..
i am in the midst of setting up a nano cube and want to keep shrimps.. could i use moss balls and amazon frogbit to speed up the process as they are good at taking in nitrates and stuff?

saintly said:
oh dude im jealous. i want nice shrimps.
actualy you might be able to help. 2 weeks ago i had 3 up the duff shrimp. there now dead! the others that werent pregas are fine. is this normal?
These are lovely mate, but don't put them in a tank with CO2 or they will be dead very soon. PH needs to be 7+ too.
About your shrimp strange one, which kind were they? Amanos? Never seen that happen before, well except with my CRS when the temp went right up, I am now keeping the tank at around 23ºC

Ark said:
those shrimp look great my local MA has them to baby ones £2.50 each,
how many shrimp do you have in total now?
Are the twigs ones from the garden? if so do they have to be completley dead before you stick them into the tank so all the moss and stuff on it has fallen off...
how long did you cycle the tank before you put the shrimp in cuz i read they are highly sensative to nitrates etc..
i am in the midst of setting up a nano cube and want to keep shrimps.. could i use moss balls and amazon frogbit to speed up the process as they are good at taking in nitrates and stuff?
£2.50 for Sulawesi????? think they might have been cherries, if they are Sulawesi then go there and buy them all for me ;)
I picked up the twigs from the park while walking the dog, just pick up the dry branches that fall off trees then it will be fine, all the wood in that tank came home that way lol
I setup the tank for about two months before I added the shrimp, I used water and filter media from my main tank to help things along, because I used ADA Aquasoil I did 60% water changes every couple of days for 2 weeks, after that I added 6 guppies from my main tank and left it for two months, then got rid of the guppies and put in some shrimp.

JAmesM said:
Stunning LD! Hope they do well and breed mate! :D
Thanks mate, I do hope I can breed them, otherwise they will look nice anyway, and if they pass away then thats the end of Sulawesi for me ;)

aaronnorth said:
so tempting :wideyed:
How much were they?
They just look amazing, the photos don't do them justice ;) they sell 3 for £21.

Back