• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

LondonDragon said:
Thanks guys, they don't swim about like that all the time, but once in a while I find them all zipping about, its pretty cool to watch hehe ;)
Apparently the males all zip about like that when the females are emitting a certain 'I'm Ready' hormone ;)

Some news, yesterday was having a closer look at the shrimp to see what I could find and to my suprise, I saw a CRS with eggs and even more suprised was that I also saw a Cardinal with eggs :) My calculation of around Xmas or January were spot on for them to start breeding :)

This week I sent out about 75-80 Red Cherry shrimp and can't even notice they have gone LOL have to get rid of some more.

Hopefully in a few months time I can start sending out Cardinals and CRS shrimplets too :)

Took the camera out but didn't catch any of the shrimp with the eggs this time, here is a full tank shot of how it looks at the moment, shrimp seem happy in it haha

pict0104ru0.jpg

Thanks for looking

George Farmer said:
Great little set up, Paulo!
You're really tempting me to set up a shrimp-only nano on my desk...
Thanks George, everyone should have a shrimp only tank, they are great fun, this was setup more for the shrimp that the scape really, so lots and lots of mosses in there, also a good way to grow stuff to send out to UKAPS members, including the shrimp hehehe ;)
I am considering setting up one just for my Sulawesi Cardinals and then get another Sulawesi species in the tank with them and some Sulawesi snails.
I am considering what to do next with my Rio 125 as due to recent problems its not looking as I wanted, and it would be oportunity to replace the gravel, will see which comes first ;)

Thats looking great LD! and congrats on the CRs/Cardinal eggs!
To save me trawling back through 18 pages, whats your fert/carbon dosing regime on this tank?

Joecoral said:
To save me trawling back through 18 pages, whats your fert/carbon dosing regime on this tank?
Well hardly nothing really, I dose 5ml of TPN+ when I do a water change, which is every couple of weeks, thats about it.

LondonDragon said:
Joecoral said:
Well hardly nothing really, I dose 5ml of TPN+ when I do a water change, which is every couple of weeks, thats about it.

Is that all!?? It looks fantastic, everything looks so healthy!
Why can't mine look like that :(

Joecoral said:
Is that all!?? It looks fantastic, everything looks so healthy!
Why can't mine look like that :(
And thats when I can remember to add it lol sometimes it goes a month without any ferts. Guess the AquaSoil does help.
I planted it heavy from the start with lots of mosses, java fern, anubias and couple of crypts. I only pruned it first time after 4 months, mosses grow nice and healthy and with so many shrimp I never notice any algae except in the flame moss on the right hand side below the themometer.

Some bad news with this tank, I stopped seeing most of the Sulawesi Cardinals so did a clear up of the tank and removed most of the mosses and everything and they are all gone, packed up and left the tank! RIP!
Cherries have been breeding like crazy, I have been sending lots out over the last couple of months, I must have shipped around 300 so far, now have to wait until the little tiny ones grow before I can ship some more.
The Crystal Red are fine but still no luck with breeding, since the Sulawesi are gone I am going to lower the temp in the tank to encourage the CRS to breed.

Sorry to hear about your Cardinals. Did you change anything in the tank maintenance regime? They were fine for months.

I did not see you mention it anywhere - do you use CO2 in your tank? I guess not.

^ no co2 is used in this tank if i remember correctly, just easycarbo when paulo remembers ;)

such a shame about the deaths. at least now the CRS might have a better chance, eh

keymaker said:
Sorry to hear about your Cardinals. Did you change anything in the tank maintenance regime? They were fine for months.
I did not see you mention it anywhere - do you use CO2 in your tank? I guess not.
Yeah they were doing well and even spotted one with eggs, nothing changed really and maintenance was done the same way. Might have been the numbers of cheeries that upset them, must have had in there over 250 at one stage, maybe more.
No CO2 or Easycarbo in this tank, only 5-10ml TPN+ at each water change.

Thomas McMillan said:
^ no co2 is used in this tank if i remember correctly, just easycarbo when paulo remembers ;)
such a shame about the deaths. at least now the CRS might have a better chance, eh
Temp is now down to 22-23C which should encourage the CRS to breed, they are all still there, lets keep fingers crossed.

Back