• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

hey LD! :) just wanted to ask how you set up your moss wall? is it the same as what aquaticmagic sell- 2 peices of mesh with moss inbetween,cable ties and suction cups?

i want to give it a go in my 60L, it makes the tank look more underwater than it all ready is if you get what i mean :lol:

Here we go!! A few photos of the substrate change today, goodbye ADA Amazonia II FOREVER!!!! Worst thing I ever purchased in my life!!!

Tank clean and ready to go:
pict0026.jpg

The inspector watching to make sure I was doing everything properly:
pict0035b.jpg

Just after planting and turning on the filters:
pict0053m.jpg

4 hours after setup, crystal clear water for the first time in about 4-5 months!!
pict0060e.jpg

Closer look:
pict0069b.jpg

Really like this substrate, colour and size are perfet for this size tank:
pict0082.jpg

I couldn't find the rocks I needed so used what I have and this tank now needs a few extra plants too.

But I am happy that I can now look at this tank again, shrimp will go in later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for looking :)

fish.com1 said:
Looking good. Is the naturesoil the fine version?
Yes it is the fine version, 10 liter bag was more than enough for this tank, got some left over for a nano tank when I get it.

glenn said:
hey LD! :) just wanted to ask how you set up your moss wall? is it the same as what aquaticmagic sell- 2 peices of mesh with moss inbetween,cable ties and suction cups?
i want to give it a go in my 60L, it makes the tank look more underwater than it all ready is if you get what i mean :lol:
It is indeed the mesh from aquaticmagic, but I didn't "sandwich" the moss between two meshes, I only used on mesh and stiched the moss the front of the mesh using cotton thread, this way you get an instant fill otherwise it will take months for it to grow through the mesh and fill in.

glenn said:
do you do the moss wall in sections or do you have enough moss to cover the whole wall right away?
First time I did it was in sections on my main tank, and has I had more moss I kept redoing it bigger. When I did the wall in the shrimp tank I had enough moss to cover the whole thing in one go.

hi paulo,
looking good already.what moss have you got on the wood.
thanks
neil

LondonDragon said:
glenn said:
do you do the moss wall in sections or do you have enough moss to cover the whole wall right away?
First time I did it was in sections on my main tank, and has I had more moss I kept redoing it bigger. When I did the wall in the shrimp tank I had enough moss to cover the whole thing in one go.

lucky boy, i wish i have enough to do mine in one go :(

nelson said:
hi paulo,
looking good already.what moss have you got on the wood.
thanks
neil
Thanks, its flame moss, with some weeping and willow moss mixed in with it.

saintly said:
if my tanks anything to go buy, the growth you'll get from the nature soil will impress you.
I am more interested in the water parameters it creates for the shrimp, not planning on keeping much in this tank other than low demanding plants ;)

Nick16 said:
where did you get the cabnet?
Its a Fluval Roma 90 cabinet, got it on ebay, was less than fifty quid delivered.

glenn said:
lucky boy, i wish i have enough to do mine in one go :(
Post on the wanted section someone might be able to sort some out for you.
Mine all died away when I started having the problems with the cloudy water, maybe coincidence maybe not.
Lets see how things do from now on.

SteveUK said:
Fantastic Paulo, I bet you're relieved to have that sorted out :)
Tell me about it, its been a long time since I actually enjoyed looking at this tank again!!

aaronnorth said:
looking good, the wood is nice :D I may try the substrate as i really like the look of it.
Thought you would say that about the wood ;) :lol: I am very pleased with the substrate, just have one complaint about it so far, its seems light so if the flow is high towards the substrate it moves it about. I have changed the flow paterns to see.

Some more photos, didn't use my macro lens so not great but ok:

Fissidens Fontanus carpet:
pict0022yut.jpg

pict0056h.jpg

pict0062.jpg

After spending 5 hours catching shrimp so that I could change the substrate this is what I had left LOL

pict0002.jpg

Anyone want some shrimp??? :p

Good to see you took the plunge. It's lovely. I'd bite your hand off for those shrimp if only I had a tank.

Garuf said:
Good to see you took the plunge. It's lovely. I'd bite your hand off for those shrimp if only I had a tank.
Yeah best thing I ever did, the substrate looks great, lets see how it does from now on, I am going to try a few plants here to see how they fair with only TPN+. Any time you want some let me know.

hijac said:
bloody hell, that's alot of shrimp.
Yeah even I was suprised how many I had, but I don't think I managed to catch all the little tiny shrimplets, there here hundreds of those in the tank and water was too cloudy to spot them.

Superman said:
and I bet he's sent a load too!
Yeah I have sold, gave away, exchanged well over 400 shrimp since December. I accept exchanges for stuff too!!

Back