• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

Awesome pics!

Olá Paulo,
It's been a while since my last post here in UKaps....
Glad you managed to sort the problem with your tank....you are not the first one, having problems with ADA Amazonia II, lately...
Good luck with your tank from now on and, btw great pics.

Abraço,
Joe Faria

Dave Spencer said:
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I wish I could keep shrimp for more than a couple of months. Major jealousy. :D
Dave.
I am sure you can keep them too, you have to try some of mine and you will see ;)

Dan Walter said:
Awesome pics!
Many thanks Dan :)

Joe Faria said:
Olá Paulo,
It's been a while since my last post here in UKaps....
Glad you managed to sort the problem with your tank....you are not the first one, having problems with ADA Amazonia II, lately...
Good luck with your tank from now on and, btw great pics.
Abraço,
Joe Faria
Olá Joe, a quanto tempo!!
Yeah that version 2 of the soil should never have been sold and its still being sold by some retailers!!
Many thanks :)
Abraço

Few more photos of the shrimp tank, the water is still crystal clear :) the crypts have melted away, only leaving a few leaves which seems to have stopped melting now, so hopefully they will make a quick recovery now.
The Fissidens Fontanus carpet is growing very fast, I have been dosing 10ml of TPN+ twice a week now, I am thinking of doubling its size soon, it creates a great effect and its slow growing so not high maintnance, I have a lot of flow in this tank and the carpet is always clean.

This is the very first time I saw the little shrimplets coming out of the eggs, amazing stuff :)

pict0381q.jpg

Some photos of the plants, snails and shrimp :)

pict0361u.jpg

pict0362p.jpg

pict0363k.jpg

pict0366e.jpg

pict0374w.jpg

pict0375.jpg

pict0376.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments always appreciated :)

Tonser said:
Great pics Paulo - love the carpet you've got going on - is the the fissidens ?
And those black and white shrimp are too cool 8)
Tony
Yep its the Fissidens as mentioned in the chat, there will be some in the post for you tomorrow ;)
Hope the black shrimp breed too :) fingers crossed

JamesM said:
The Fissidens looks amazing, Paulo :)
Is that first crystal carrying eggs? Save me some of the juniors mate! :D
Thanks James, I am loving it too :) I can just picture a carpet in my Juwel Rio haha
I don't think its carrying eggs mate, just the cherries so far :bored:

Those orange dots look a lot like eggs to me mate... might be wrong though :oops:

I'm going to have to get fissidens off you at some point... I put mine in the large tank while I cleaned out the shrimp tank, and my yoyo loach ate it all within minutes :rolleyes: :lol:

JamesM said:
Those orange dots look a lot like eggs to me mate... might be wrong though :oops:
Haha that first photo is a cherry, read the description above it ;)

JamesM said:
I'm going to have to get fissidens off you at some point... I put mine in the large tank while I cleaned out the shrimp tank, and my yoyo loach ate it all within minutes :rolleyes: :lol:
haha let me know when you ready for it and I will save you some at the next trim ;)

JamesM said:
This one mate... I know what a cherry looks like :p
Thanks bud, will let ya know soon :)
Crystal eggs are brown ;) I don't see any in there hehe

JamesM said:
Ah, cool... is that always the case with their eggs mate? I've had cherries with white, green, and yellow eggs.
Always good to know :)
I only seem them before with brown eggs, so I couldn't say otherwise but then again I could be wrong haha

mr. luke said:
THey start off very pale dark brown then go a very dark almost black colour over a short while ;)
Thanks for the confirmation ;)

SteveUK said:
The Cherries I got off you, LD, always seem to have either pale or quite bright yellow eggs :)
Yep cherries are like that, saw one releasing the shrimplets last night, amazing stuff!!

What a great thread! Just read through. I have a Juwel 60 which I am having some success with breeding CRS. I plan to soon strip it down and replant.
Do you continue to use the original filter supplied with the Juwel?

What filtration do you use in your nursery tank?

Mark Webb said:
What a great thread! Just read through. I have a Juwel 60 which I am having some success with breeding CRS. I plan to soon strip it down and replant.
Do you continue to use the original filter supplied with the Juwel?
What filtration do you use in your nursery tank?
Hi Mark, success with CRS congrats :) so far no luck here!!!
I have removed the Juwel filter as it was complete pants and clogged up too quickly, I am running two internals at present, a cheap one off ebay that is rated at 400lph and an Eheim Aquaball rated at 280lph.
On the nursery tank I run another Eheim Aquaball ;)

Thanks but congrats are not in order. I put 6 Cherry and 6 CRS in my tank and a month later the 6 cherries were gone (although they lasted long enough to photograph for my avatar!) and young CRS appeared. Just lucky! I now have the bug and will replant with moss for the shrimp and have another go at Cherries. Would also like to try CBS and Cardinals having seen them in your thread. I am planning to use a Fluval 305 external with sponge on the inlet to stop shrimp being sucked in. How long would you suggest running the Fluval to mature before removing the internal Juwel filter to make more space? I must say having looked at the Aquaball it looks Shrimp friendly in so far as they cant be sucked in.
I think I see the filter box still in your Juwel? Have you considered removing it if you are not using the filter?

Mark Webb said:
Thanks but congrats are not in order. I put 6 Cherry and 6 CRS in my tank and a month later the 6 cherries were gone (although they lasted long enough to photograph for my avatar!) and young CRS appeared. Just lucky! I now have the bug and will replant with moss for the shrimp and have another go at Cherries.
Shame about the cherries, mine breed like crazy and I now have over 300 at least, if you want some let me know.

Mark Webb said:
Would also like to try CBS and Cardinals having seen them in your thread.
Cardinals would be best kept separate as they need different water parameters to breed and higher temps than the CRS.
The CRS need about 24C to breed and the Cardinals around 27C.

Mark Webb said:
I am planning to use a Fluval 305 external with sponge on the inlet to stop shrimp being sucked in. How long would you suggest running the Fluval to mature before removing the internal Juwel filter to make more space? I must say having looked at the Aquaball it looks Shrimp friendly in so far as they cant be sucked in.
Fluval 305 will be fine with a sponge on the intake, I would suggest leaving it there for about a month minimum, maybe two to be on the safe side. Aquaball is full of sponges inside so shrimp can't get sucked into the pump.

Mark Webb said:
I think I see the filter box still in your Juwel? Have you considered removing it if you are not using the filter?
It was there in the earlier shots, I have removed it when I changed the substrate.

Back