• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

Mark Webb said:
Any ideas why Cherries would not survive where CRS do?
To be honest not sure, its usually the other way round, in my experience cherries are very hardy!! Were you dosing anything into this tank?

Dosing plant fertilizer at water change + powder to increase kh (using RO water)
Can I ask what brand of food you suggest for shrimp, currently feeding mine on fish food (Tetra Prima)

Mark Webb said:
Dosing plant fertilizer at water change + powder to increase kh (using RO water)
Can I ask what brand of food you suggest for shrimp, currently feeding mine on fish food (Tetra Prima)

Why use RO water?? could be the powder you using? I use tap water with no conditioners or anything.

I am only dosing TPN+ at the moment, no carbon of any sort.

Food used: Tetramin Flakes, JBL Shrimp, JBL Crab, Sera Shrimp, Algae Waffers, Granule from LFS.

I am an ex Marines man. The RO setup is there so I thought I may as well use pure stuff so I know whats going in. Do you not use de chlorinator?

What is TPN+ ?

Mark Webb said:
I am an ex Marines man. The RO setup is there so I thought I may as well use pure stuff so I know whats going in. Do you not use de chlorinator?
No need to use it, you only taking out stuff of the water that then you need to put back for plants.
I haven't used chlorinator in years!!

Mark Webb said:
What is TPN+ ?
Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus, an all in one fertelizer for plants.

Just spotted a dead S grade CRS in the tank and on closer inspection it was carrying eggs :(

I noticed the temp was at around 26ºC with the heater off, so I have dug out the fans to get the temps down a little further.

I spotted another one that might be carrying eggs but its not an S grade, after about 45 minutes the temp has reduced to 25ºC lets see how low it gets with the fans.

Unfortunate mate :( Fingers crossed for the rest of them :)

I read somewhere that you generally get about 1 in 10 of the same grade shrimp from a batch, with the rest being lower grade. Is this correct?

Temp is now between 22-23ºC which is good for me, need to find a better solution though as I don't like the noisy fans.
Will also do a water change tomorrow just in case. I have had this problem in the past, when the females start carrying eggs they die :bored: will see how it goes

Finally some good news, this morning saw a few CRS shrimplets in the tank :) the temp with the fans has been between 21-23C even on the hottest days which is great :) Only saw 3 or 4 this morning and they were hidden so no photos for now.

Happy days!! (as George would put it) :D :D

Thanks guys, lets hope they survive long enough now ;)
Some photos of the tank, couldn't get any macros of the shrimp batteries on the external flash were drained!!

pict1140.jpg

pict1144.jpg

pict1149.jpg

pict1161.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Wow, this is turning into something nice! I love the ferny island and u-shaped composition - you're onto a winner here mate. ;)

Back