• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

fish.com1 said:
Looking much better than before the rescape Paulo :)
What species of anubias is in the first pic? It's leaves look tiny.
Many thanks mate, the anubias are the petite version, the smallest anubias I have ever seen, I thinking of using them in my nano tank, need to find some more small plants.

Lookin sweet Paulo! really really nice and textured ;)

TDI-line said:
This is a great Journal Shrimp King. ;)
Do you run CO2 on this tank Paulo? And was you going to split up the CRS with the cherries.
Mine are breeding like mad on there own, i think there's about 10 adults, and 20 juvenilles and probably around 40 tiny ones too. :D
Thanks Dan, I am going to split the cherries soon to encourage the CRS to breed more, otherwise because the cherries breed some much the CRS will just not breed. Due to already being too many shrimp in the tank.

Will be a challenge to get all the cherries out!! lol I might wait and setup my nano and then move the CRS into that instead, would be easier to catch them since there are only about 15.

I am not dosing CO2 into this tank, a couple of ml of TPN+ every other day and one ml of Easycarbo when I dose the TPN+, been doing that for two weeks now to see if plants respond well.

Wow i've just spent the last few hours going through this whole journal, what a change in styles from beginning to present! I'm looking to strip down my 35l nano and make it into a moss tank, not sure about keeping all my cherrys shrimp though. As you've found out they breed like wild fire, what have you done with the other 200 odd that you took out the tank after the substrate issues?

Most of my cherrys are no way near as red as yours, i guess the mosses help and dark substrate helps bring out the colour in them. Might try my hand at some CRS much like yourself not bothered about grades if i could pick some up cheaply, they seem harder to breed which in my tiny tank would be a blessing.

Can't wait to finally move out of the parents and have some space for more tanks, anyway better get off to sleep, work in the morning.

Thanks for the great read!

Glad you enjoyed the journal Dural, it has been an interesting ride for me along the past year.

I am keeping the surplus cherries on a separate tank where they are breeding like crazy also, then sending off to people as they ask for some. I am going to move the CRS once I get my nano setup to encourage them to breed more, or move out the cherries from this tank, still not decided yet on which way I will head.

The dark substrate does help with the colours, I holding tank has plain gravel and the shrimp take an almost transparent colour, if I then move some to the main shrimp tank then they go red in a couple of days. Very odd!!

I am just keeping easy plants in this tank at the moment and the mosses seem to be doing great for a change, lets see how long that lasts hehe

Thanks for the feedback, any questions just fire them my way.

I'm thinking about getting a small 3l bag of naturesoil fine, you said that it seems very light and moves around the tank, do you have any problems cleaning your tank when vacuuming the substrate?

Dural said:
I'm thinking about getting a small 3l bag of naturesoil fine, you said that it seems very light and moves around the tank, do you have any problems cleaning your tank when vacuuming the substrate?
Its not a problem really unless you have like a power head pointing at the substrate, but you can adjust it, I have a very strong internal filter in this tank which lifted the substrate a little, just took a little adjusting to get it right.

keymaker said:
Thanks, George!
Now I searched on its name and just found out that Paulo actually mentioned it before... Sorry. :oops:
Yeah I did a couple of posts back hehehe its a very nice plant and its doing much better in the low tech tank than its doing in my main tank! Funny that!! Must be the Naturesoil ;)

This is a great tank. I like the fissidens very much. Makes me want some. :)

lljdma06 said:
This is a great tank. I like the fissidens very much. Makes me want some. :)
Many thanks :) Can't you get it states side???

I can get it through Aquaticmagic and Aquabotonic carried it a while ago, so when I want it, I think I'll be okay. I definitely want it for the 36g I just setup a journal for.

Just a quick update, the first batch of shrimplets from the CRS are growing nicely and are now about half a centimeter long :) I have noticed some little 1mm shrimplets so they must have bred again, during the water change a few days back I counted 10 little ones, but the tank is so heavy planted that there could be many more.
During this heat wave the couple of fans I have over the tank did a great job in keeping the temps below 25ºC, last year the tank temp shot up to 32C and wipped out my CRS so I am very happy this time, best tenner I ever spent ;)

Well an update is not an update without some photos, so here it goes:

pict1354k.jpg

pict1328m.jpg

pict1329.jpg

pict1332.jpg

pict1337b.jpg

pict1338.jpg

pict1342.jpg

pict1349.jpg

pict1352o.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

JamesM said:
Show off! :p
Nice one of the little CRS bud :D
50p each to me or something wasn't it? ;)
50p ok, I thought we agree on 10p!! but 50p will be fine, I take 100!!

Back