Shrimp Traps

Onoma1

I am suffering from a shrimp explosion atm and want to transfer some across to another tank without going in with a net and disturbing the rest of the fish and plants. I wondered if anyone had experience of using shrimp traps, advice on which one to buy or any other advice?

Attachments

Onoma1

I'd try a DIY first
Thank you. I used to use these when I was a child to catch minnows and sticklebacks (old wine bottles with the tip of the inverted cone to catch sediment knocked through). I didn't realise they would work for shrimp.

mort

I used a bottle trap to do the same thing. Shrimp are very easy to catch with something tasty.

tiger15

I have used the inverted bottle trap to catch bristlenose. But the bottle is too big for my one gallon shrimp bowl, so I made one using superglue and transparency paper. I’m testing it out next week and will report back if it works.

Attachments

tiger15

I have used the inverted bottle trap to catch bristlenose. But the bottle is too big for my one gallon shrimp bowl, so I made one using superglue and transparency paper. I’m testing it out next week and will report back if it works.
After a week trial, my innovation trapped many snails, but no Amano shrimp. I have no idea if it will trap cherry shrimp, but Amano is too smart to get trapped.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
noodlesuk Cherry Shrimp Population Inverts 5
BarryH Betta with shrimp Inverts 14
BarryH Ember Tetras with Shrimp Inverts 7
G Best online shrimp seller Inverts 3
R Baby shrimp and cleaning Inverts 5
BarryH Light intensity for Shrimp Inverts 3