• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp, when to feed?

I’ve added four Amano to my 37 Litre Nano to try and help with Algae. They haven’t touched any of the Algae but seem happy grazing on a large piece of bogwood. As I rarely seem to see all four at a time and they seem happy with the tank conditions I plan to add some more soon. Two questions I have though are: when should I add shrimp specific food (or is anything in the fridge suitable) and my tank is at around 25°C - is this a bit too warm? I’d like to add a few cleanup fish as well.

Thanks. I saw some Otocinclus in the LFS and they seemed to be doing a great job at keeping the glass clean?

Apolgies ottos can be considered clean up crew. Ottos will help with reducing bio film and some algae off plants however they can be difficult especially in small tanks. It does seem to vary between individuals but I'd hazard a guess that 75% have a slow death from starvation.
They wont clean glass enough to stop you from having to clean it..
Dwarf nerite snails are very good at algae munching...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well to be honest I don’t seem to need to clean the glass very often anyway. The brown algae I was getting now seems to have abated.

when should I add shrimp specific food (or is anything in the fridge suitable) and my tank is at around 25°C - is this a bit too warm? I’d like to add a few cleanup fish as well.
I never do although it won't hurt if you add some. They will eat fish food remains, algae, biofilm which is more than enough. In fact one of my tanks only has amano shrimps, no fish. In 5 months I have only given them 1 pellet total. They are just fine grazing all day long on the substrate, plants, wood etc. My tanks are around 26°C/27°C. I live in a tropical country.

Well to be honest I don’t seem to need to clean the glass very often anyway. The brown algae I was getting now seems to have abated.

It's not because you can't see it that there isn't a film building up on the glass and everywhere else. Take a sponge and pass it against the glass. You will surely see a difference.

Last edited:
Well to be honest I have a Nano Alginator that lives in the tank so it gets a wipe whether it needs it or not! :lol:

Just wonder what type of algae you are trying to get rid of. There are broadly two types of algae eater: browser that picks off filamentous algae, and grazer that scrape off biofilm and algae on flat surfaces.

Snails, Chinese algae eater, Otto and any sucker mouth fish are grazer. Molly, barbs, Siamese algae eater and shrimp are browser. Grazers are good at cleaning glass, not much for filamentous algae, and vise versa for browsers.

in my opinion nothing does...........

My son claims he never cleans his glass and its was spotless last time I seen his tank, he puts it down to his Malaysian Trumpet Snails - trying them out ATM in low tech myself

I had huge amounts of these once, still dirty glass. I have a few in my black cube almost no dirty glass, but that also is low light and light doesn't shine on the front pane.:rolleyes:

Well one can try :banghead::facepalm: but cheers for the heads up M8 :thumbup:

Back