• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

shrimp with only one claw

donkey

Hi Guys.
i was in a pet store the other day and i seen a shrimp with only one claw. well there where about 10 of them in the tank. as the shop was full i never got a chance to ask the staff what it was. it was about inch long with one claw. anyone know what it might be ? and would it be ok with other shrimps in a planted aquarium.

Was it a shrimp or a crayfish? It might be that it has lost the claw in an incident with an inquisitive fish. If so it should grow back after a few molts :)

Crayfish aren't always a good thing for community from what I've read. I believe they can be predatory... Can you describe what it looked like?

Edit - Fixed spelling :p

SteveUK said:
If so it should grow back after a few malts

Lucky shrimp :D especially if it was a single malt to match his claw.

Another possibility is that some shrimp do appear to have only one claw but if you look closer you should see that there are in fact two, but one is larger. Ghost shrimp are an example of this - http://fish.orbust.net/ghostshrimp.html.

James

Hi
it did say it was a shrimp but i forgot what it was called. and all the other shrimps in that tank only had one claw as well so i dont think they had all lost one in a fight :lol: i will go back next week and see if i can take a picture of one.

Back