• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp with prominent pale line along back

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I have some dark red "Cherry Shrimps" with prominent pale lines along their back (basically a strip from the head to the telson) and since reading the recent posts on Caridina cf. babaulti, I wondered whether Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda heteropoda) have a stripe? or do I have a mixture of both? and last question does anyone know where I can get a comparative picture of the rostrums of the 2 species?
cheers Darrel

I have seen cherries with that stripe since I started my interest in the species.

Similar to this (not my photo):
1990493811_c3f1a312e7.jpg

Never really took much notice of it to be honest, I have plenty with that tripe.

Hi all,
Thank you that will do nicely, they are all Cherry Shrimps then. I did have a look at a couple earlier and they had smooth rostrums (the rostrum on C. balbauti is apparently serrated like a "Prawn cocktail" prawn), but I didn't manage to catch a very stripy one.
cheers Darrel

I have some with White stripes and some with green on top of their backs.
It may just be coincidence but the ones with stripes all seem to be egg laden females.

Back