• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimps escape artists?

Susanna

I've had my tank set up since lockdown started, literally, plants are growing well except for a few leaves going brown but I have started to get some algae. I've been trying to get the co2 correct and have managed to acquire 8 neons .

now thinking ahead I need a clean up crew and was thinking of a couple of glass shrimps, but as a bit disconcerted to read reports of some species taking a hike as it were.

now my tank is a 30"cubic tank with a cover glass that has a 5 to 10 mil gap all around and azalea wood that leads to the surface and filter outlet so I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

btw having had a tank once which became over run by snails i don't particularly want to go down that route.

I have 2 Amano shrimp in my nano tank, and there are plenty of things they could climb up if they wanted to escape, but so far they haven’t.

I had an Amano escape from my 30cm cube. Must have gone up the heater cable and trough a gap in the lid I did think they could have fit through. Found it a good few meters away from the tank.

In my main tank I have nine amanos and they never seem to have attempted escape. The tank has a lid but I think they could get out via the heater cable / filter pipework if they wanted to.

I've found a few red cherry shrimp near the tank recently. Theres a few things they can climb up like tall plants at the suralface, co2 tubing, powerhead housing/cable and lilly pipes

I'm not sure if they actually wanted out, but my theory is sometimes when they climb a bit too high and out the water slightly, they panic and flick/jump accidently out the tank, this may be the case when climbing say a glass surface skimmer.

Back