• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silicone for acrylic tank ?

Kristoph91

I've just picked up an 80L split tank (as in it has 3 sections) it has a small leak in the corner. I'm going to reseal it, but dont know what silicone is best for acrylic?

Any advice appreciated !

Cheers

i have used gold label silicone in the pond and in the aquarium. It is amazing stuff. You can find it in your local garden centre.

Darrel, thanks for the reply. There's already plenty of plastic cement on it, I was just going to cover up the leaky corners with silicone.

Perfect Darren, I'll look out for it :D

Thanks for the info guys :D

Silicone doesn't stick to acrylic, which is why corners/repairs have to use solvent base glues.

Hi all,
You could make a glue by dissolving acrylic shavings in acetone
Kris, it is like Mortis and Ian_m say, you need a "solvent weld" type adhesive. These will melt the acrylic and then as the solvent evaporates it will bond into single piece. This is why acrylic shavings in acetone (the solvent) work <http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ACRYLIC_GLUING.htm>
Tensol cement and solvent weld cements. - The solvent dissolves the surface layers of a wide range of thermoplastics. When the surfaces are joined in this way the solvent evaporates leaving a joint made from a mixture of the two plastic surfaces. Acrylic is usually joined with Tensol cement (solvent- dichloromethane).
Glues, and even the really sticky "gold label silicone", wont bond to the acrylic long term. The only glue that does work is cyanoacrylate super-glue, but even then it isn't likely to be a long term bond.

As Darren says "gold label silicone", is really good stuff, and may well do if you can use it to plug the the corner from inside, although it is still more likely to leak long term.

cheers Darrel

gold label.... I thought there wasn't anything it couldn't do :( i have been living a lie.

Back