• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silicone issue help

Simba3000

Hi everyone,

I've had this aquarium for 3 years now . Landen 100p, and haven't had any trouble this far. After moving things around to paint the room , I noticed this in the binding of the front panel and right panel. While the tank was running I had no leaks or noticed. But want to make sure before I start it up again that this won't be an issue. The white residue is from using PBW to clean. Any advice is appreciated
RDT_20230219_0747176979448824543288232.png

The picture seems head-on in the corner, if this is a stain on the silicone surface I wouldn't see an issue.

Look through (between) the glass (and silicone) if there is an air bubble in the silicone seam. even if this is the case it isn't necessarily a problem, I have seen quite a lot of aquariums with air bubble inclusions in the silicone it doesn't look good but it doesn't affect the overall structural strength. The water seal is this bead in the corner and not the one in between the glass... :)

The picture seems head-on in the corner, if this is a stain on the silicone surface I wouldn't see an issue.

Look through (between) the glass (and silicone) if there is an air bubble in the silicone seam. even if this is the case it isn't necessarily a problem, I have seen quite a lot of aquariums with air bubble inclusions in the silicone it doesn't look good but it doesn't affect the overall structural strength. The water seal is this bead in the corner and not the one in between the glass... :)
Yes, the picture is head on. So you're seeing where the front panel meets the right panel. There are no bubbles on the outside seam, and no discoloration. Thank you for the information. I was pretty distraught when first seeing it

I was pretty distraught when first seeing it

I can imagine, :) who wouldn't... I guess we all are a bit mopping paranoia with such a large glass box filled with water in the house. I have built a few tanks myself and also repaired a few leaking ones. Even having them for years without issues I still know the 'What if feeling'... Also seen tanks that have quite a questionable silicone job I would not like to have myself, and as bad as they look they still are OK after many years.

Anyway, the way it really is... It always stays a gamble with little guarantee and it is a matter of trust and confidence... But I also experienced good-looking and visually well-built aquariums bursting open for no obvious reason... Last December a very famous 1000.000-litre marine tank in a hotel in Berlin exploded and did destroy half the building. The alleged reason after an inspection was most likely material fatigue and stress, something that had 0 visual signs before it exploded. Nobody saw it coming...

Those who play with fire can burn their fingers... Those who play with water can get their feet wet...

Last edited:
Back