• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silicone joints

Hi all,

long time since I have kept a planted tank but I’m just about ready to set her up.

My question is if aquarium silicone can be used to make a joint between say an NRV and a glass tube on my Co2 line. Is the silicone strong enough to keep 2 bar pressure and will carbon dioxide Degrade the silicone?

i may do some tests on this to see what breaking strength exists

DA7F0750-D99D-4C1A-81E4-0CF4EAC89D10.jpeg
313024AB-F2BC-4CA7-AD6A-06E1BAD5FEA8.jpeg

Is the silicone strong enough to keep 2 bar pressure and will carbon dioxide Degrade the silicone
Don't know about the pressure holding your setup but CO2 does "dissolve" in silicone, especially if CO2 is under presser, which is why your shouldn't use air-line as CO2 tubing and use proper CO2 rated tubing (polyurethane).

Generally people use CO2 rated tubing and heat the end to soften it, to allow it to be pushed over any joints/glassware/valves. I just dunk the tube in a jug of freshly boiled water, wait a while and push it over, seems to work OK, with no leaks.

Thanks for the reply. My tubing is correctly rated for Co2 but this is more if a DIY project than a necessity. I’ll set up my system with adequate fittings and tinker on the side with my other idea. I might start a journal for the tank. Been so long I consider myself a noob

Firstly nice selfie in the first pic, that made me chuckle and brightened my afternoon!

Secondly, nice pike in you profile pic - thats a bit of a beast - over 20lb?

As to your question, I wouldn't want to rely on silicone to maintain a gas-tight pressure seal to be honest. What are you trying to make, a bubble counter?

I took the opportunity to see who was really paying attention to the pics:)

she’s a 28 pounder caught on the river Shannon. There I am with a 24 pounder caught same place last year. The spot is very lucky for me.
1A6B099E-A56E-46DB-BC6C-9760541F650D.jpeg

to be honest it’s a nice to have project not a must have. I used to work on industrial steam boilers and I always thought the gauge glass would look fantastic as a bubble counter. No other uses for then really as they have been replaced with cheaper more easily serviceable units. I was hoping to put a small LED behind it to make stand out. I just bought a Co2 in tank diffuser which requires 30 psi so I won’t bother with the silicone. Instead I’ll try some hoses and see if I can make a seal with that.
My focus will be getting it planted in about a month or so.

A87FB487-2577-41C4-8853-AAB07ED52279.jpeg

54090D79-040A-4BEE-91BA-2D86FD238BC0.jpeg

Hi @Ghettofarmulous
Off topic a bit but I'm assuming it's a Flex 57?
There's a nice little 'Periscope' someone will print you off allowing you to bank the soil up a little more in that back corner and not worry about the soil and intake so much as it's a little low really I think. I've got the MKI Periscope and it works really well, I know he has changed the slots I had to holes which I think would work better. There's another few things aimed at the flex57 he prints also which I think are useful; lid props and intake strainer being the main 2. Drop me a message if you want some more info and I'll point you in the right direction if you like.
I would add it before it gets wet as I think a few dabs of silicone to hold the bottom section secure are a good idea.

IMG-20200131-WA0005.jpg IMG-20200131-WA0006.jpg IMG-20200131-WA0007.jpg

I took the opportunity to see who was really paying attention to the pics:)

she’s a 28 pounder caught on the river Shannon. There I am with a 24 pounder caught same place last year. The spot is very lucky for me.View attachment 132158

to be honest it’s a nice to have project not a must have. I used to work on industrial steam boilers and I always thought the gauge glass would look fantastic as a bubble counter. No other uses for then really as they have been replaced with cheaper more easily serviceable units. I was hoping to put a small LED behind it to make stand out. I just bought a Co2 in tank diffuser which requires 30 psi so I won’t bother with the silicone. Instead I’ll try some hoses and see if I can make a seal with that.
My focus will be getting it planted in about a month or so.

View attachment 132159

View attachment 132160

Very nice fish!

Nice glass gauge also, I love the ‘Steampunk’ style look of it!

What is the inner and outer diameter of the glass pipe you’re trying to hook onto?

You could really do with a way to securely cap
it or bung it. Then you can drill trap is and attach a proper inlet like this:

upload_2020-3-6_16-30-2.jpeg

Very nice fish!

Nice glass gauge also, I love the ‘Steampunk’ style look of it!

What is the inner and outer diameter of the glass pipe you’re trying to hook onto?

You could really do with a way to securely cap
it or bung it. Then you can drill trap is and attach a proper inlet like this:

View attachment 132182

The glass is OD 12mm ID 8mm. I ordered a plastic reducer online. 12 - 6mm diameter. I have secured the Co2 line to the 6mm side with some hot water and brute force, it’s tight. I am thinking that the needle can be inserted into the open end and I will use some sort of filler/silicone to hold it in place (picture 4). This doesn’t need to whit-stand pressure, only be gas and water tight.

I figure some hose and jubilee clips will keep the glass and reducer together. An NRV will be put onto the tube to create a stop for water draw. Any thoughts?

capping/ bunging and tapping is a great idea but I have no idea where to start.

64C2234B-B3C1-4ADC-A691-27AD7C964C91.jpeg
6991BD7B-7E05-42C9-912A-5DE739786C64.jpeg
870A62CE-B0C1-47C4-8D84-3B0339A14071.jpeg
0C6ED97B-62B3-4F4C-8D94-37A18C6E8F19.jpeg
1A836ABF-2D0D-4AE6-85A3-6C12C9F53FF8.jpeg

You have as fantastic journal. How did your Corydoras do without sand substrate? They are one of my favourite fish.

The glass is OD 12mm ID 8mm. I ordered a plastic reducer online. 12 - 6mm diameter. I have secured the Co2 line to the 6mm side with some hot water and brute force, it’s tight. I am thinking that the needle can be inserted into the open end and I will use some sort of filler/silicone to hold it in place (picture 4). This doesn’t need to whit-stand pressure, only be gas and water tight.

I figure some hose and jubilee clips will keep the glass and reducer together. An NRV will be put onto the tube to create a stop for water draw. Any thoughts?

capping/ bunging and tapping is a great idea but I have no idea where to start.

View attachment 132318 View attachment 132319 View attachment 132320 View attachment 132321 View attachment 132322

Hmmm, 8mm ID is too small to bung and tap anyway. The way you seem to be setting it up, as you suggest, some tubing that will go tight over the glass and over the reducer looks like it will work. (Some 8mm ID that you can heat and force fit perhaps?)

8mm ID Silicone Tubing

You have as fantastic journal. How did your Corydoras do without sand substrate? They are one of my favourite fish.

Thanks. Yes, they're fine - my substrate is Tropica Soil Powder, which is quite fine. They have no problem rooting between the grains. They are very cute, and I love the way they just suddenly stop swimming on plop down on a leaf to take in the view!

I need to get around to trying to culture some microworms for them, as it's tricky to get the brine shrimp I'm hatching, down to the substrate for them - my Embers and Chilli's tend to scoff the lions share.

Back