• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silky stringy algae ?

k3ch0ng

20200914_075623.jpg
20200914_080010.jpg

Any ideas what this ? Seems to be everywhere and clogs up the filter :( seems impossible to get rid of.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the image, can you take a better one in focus?
Is it branching or non branching, looks like it might be branching, so could be Cladophora.
Either way, the usual applies. Clean the filter, and ensure your CO2 flow and distribution are on point. Do a substantial water change etc...
It also might help us to help you if you give us the vital statistics of your tank ;)

Hard to tell from the image, can you take a better one in focus?
Is it branching or non branching, looks like it might be branching, so could be Cladophora.
Either way, the usual applies. Clean the filter, and ensure your CO2 flow and distribution are on point. Do a substantial water change etc...
It also might help us to help you if you give us the vital statistics of your tank ;)

Thanks

20200914_075639.jpg

I think it is spirogyra, long threads like human hair that can be foot long. I have it in my window sill planted shrimp bowl that receives direct sun light. It thrives in the same conditions as for healthy plants and the lush green can be attractive in small quantity. Shrimp and snails don’t eat it, and probably no algae eaters will. It’s easy to remove physically as it comes off in strands that don't stick but can entangle plants. I do a physical removal every few weeks but it returns to reconquer.

I read that API Algaefix is effective against spirogyra but I don’t dare to try as the label says it will kill shrimp. I haven’t tried Excel or peroxide either even though proper dosage is said to be safe for shrimp.

I think it is spirogyra, long threads like human hair that can be foot long. I have it in my window sill planted shrimp bowl that receives direct sun light. It thrives in the same conditions as for healthy plants and the lush green can be attractive in small quantity. Shrimp and snails don’t eat it, and probably no algae eaters will. It’s easy to remove physically as it comes off in strands that don't stick but can entangle plants. I do a physical removal every few weeks but it returns to reconquer.

I read that API Algaefix is effective against spirogyra but I don’t dare to try as the label says it will kill shrimp. I haven’t tried Excel or peroxide either even though proper dosage is said to be safe for shrimp.

Yup have the same problem. Its tangled into roots of the other plants and smothers the smaller ones. From what I can find in google its best to dump all the plants and start anew.

Yup have the same problem. Its tangled into roots of the other plants and smothers the smaller ones. From what I can find in google its best to dump all the plants and start anew.
But if you don’t change the fundamental, it will return. I have sunlight and no CO2. Pond people have to deal with it often as they can’t reduce sunlight. What’s your growing conditions.

What comes in handy nowadays are the small and relative cheap pocket microscopes that fit your mobile phone camera. :)

Whit this you can have a close look and make a picture to more or less trying to identify the algae... Spirogyra is easily determined it's build up in a string looking like a spiral. (Hence the name)

chang-delwiche_figure1.jpg

Cladophora has a branched grow form.
1600086716470.jpeg

Oedognium
1600087316005.jpeg

Are very common, but there are quite some other filamentous growing algae you could guess for looking at it with the naked eye... :)

Have a look here.
https://www.algae.info/Algaecomplete.aspx

Last edited:
Good web site to ID algae and suggestion for a pocket microscope. I’m getting one with 1600x magnification, perhaps overkill but I can do other research. The last time I saw spirogyra in a microscope was in high school biology lab. I recall it is actually a unicellular algae in chained colony

Hi all,
so could be Cladophora.
That would be my guess, partially based on colour. Cladophora is <"quite tough"> and difficult to pull apart, it also often feels a bit "gritty" when you roll it around in your fingers.

Spirogyra feels quite slimy, even if you can't <"see the chloroplasts">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back