• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

silly question probably but does fertiliser with Nitrogen increase Nitrates?

been having nitrate problem and worried about adding back in fertilzer and just shooting the nitrate up again

got 55l of water in 15g tank, the TNC complete is 1.5% N and my nitrates before adding are roughly 10-20, id like to keep 10-20 but because i use kinda high lighting and c02 i am expected to triple dose the TNC

Yes it will. That’s the idea as plants use the nitrates. When you say you use high lighting, CO2 and expected to triple dose, I’m assuming that you have a heavily planted tank. If that’s the case just go ahead go ahead and add the TNC. So longs as you do regular water changes, you’ll be ok.
If you’re still worried, you will need to mix your own to limit nitrates (for example if your tap water is high in nitrates) you will not need to add any and just at P and K.

Hey thanks for replying, my tap reading is about 15-30, i keep blue rams and want to keep this figure as low as possible, i added 1 dose of TNC then restested and its probably 40ish now, i mustve added a triple dose a week ago and tested it shortly after and my nitrate reading was a strong red. ammonia and nitrite always 0 thankfully

Yeh almost all my substrate is covered in plants and biomass is steadily increasing, the instructions advise spreading the dose out over a week so every 2 days. i will do that, restest come water change and see how managable it is.

i was using demin water but, for a few weeks i cant get any, so i gotta use tap water, 17gh!

ill probably look into P and K , ive stopped overfeeding my fish too

if i got P and K salts or liquid fert, whats a good all in one for micros? is flourish one?

Thanks

Not sure about flourish, there will be others who can advise. I do know that TNC light is a micro. Regarding your tap water Nitrate levels, your be better of checking your suppliers water report. It will provide a more accurate figure.

Ah yes, i remember seeing TNC lite, i'll bear that in mind.

I looked at a water report, but only found the levels to which they keep it under, i think they said no higher than 35ppm. i probably didnt look well enough on the internet tbf.

thanks bud

edit: relooked at water report for last month and min.max values are both 29.50,

so my nitrates were probably around 20 because i filled half tap water and half demin water - full tank of tap, 50% water change to demin

Last edited:
Back