• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silly Question ..

Kristoph91

I'm sorry for being an idiot.. But why do people actually put stuff like dead/dried leaves in their tanks. I keep seeing oak leaves and alder cones etc.
Also, how are the almond and catappa leaves good for shrimp?

Does it have something to do with the Ph ?

Thanks

Thanks Alastair, only certain kinds of leaves though? It must be the tannin content or something I'm thinking?

i have leaves of various sorts in my tanks. Oak, beech or almond.

Hi all,
I do as well, even the ones without shrimps or dwarf catfish. Oak leaves or Alder cones are good for adding tannins and softening the water, and my suspicion would be that they are just as good as Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa).

cheers Darrel

i have a local supply of alder. Great twigs and of course the cones work very well .

So if I go to the park and pick up some dead leaves .. then sit them in tank water from a water change.. for - say - 3 days, will this be ok? I have otos, will they mind?
Any leaves I should avoid ?
Thanks for the replies guys.

So what leaves should I stick to, and will flash boiling/rinsing remove and systemic pesticides?
Thanks

i pick my leaves off the ground in the woods. A quick rinse or boil if you like and bung them in. alder cones i rinse in cold water and straight into the tank. what effect do you want from the leaves? Oak and beech are decorative. Indian almond leaves are ones for encouraging beneficial microorganisms and slightly altering water chemistry etc.

I don't know what I want from them :lol: I have tiger shrimp & RCS. Will these find any benefit from the leaves ?

Thanks for the info

yes- those leaves will help promote healthy conditions. Be carefull with Indian almond though. Not too many at once.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I do as well, even the ones without shrimps or dwarf catfish. Oak leaves or Alder cones are good for adding tannins and softening the water, and my suspicion would be that they are just as good as Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa).

cheers Darrel

Do they soften the general hardness or carbonate hardness ?

Back