• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Simple bedside nano

Aqua360

Having withdrawn a bit from tanks and aquascaping in my hobbies (preferring to instead try emersed scapes and carnivorous plants), I've cut back to a simple Dennerle 10l as my only real aquatic project!

Have established a Monte Carlo carpet and staurogyne emersed before flooding, With some stargrass and cherry shrimp added too. Back to basics!

Hoping for heavy growth and shrimplets soon :)

IMG_20191019_214854.jpg

Aqua

A very basic and simple Aquascape very well done perfect for the Bedroom.

Are you going to add a basic floating plant eg Water Sprite for the shrimps?

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Thanks! I think that's a good idea, I'll need to see if I can find some duckweed; always enjoy a surface "carpet" of it at the top!

Aqua.....that is one sweet little tank to look at first thing in the morning.
I'm just gonna poke my nose in briefly, as I can't help noticing the containers of food and minerals, ( both by an excellent producer in my book ).

However, ( and I'm sure you already know this ), but I'm going to say it any !-------in a 10 Litre tank , with the likely initial stock level, you are needing to be VERY sparing with your feeding and mineral additions.
I would suggest you completely disregard any "feeding guide" on the containers, and start off with very tiny quantities....maybe even only 10% of what they tell you.

For instance, if you take about a quarter of a food stick, and then crush it in your, (clean) fingers, and add it to the tank, you will surely be amazed at the quantity of surface particles that are released ( those sticks are highly compressed ).

Likewise with the minerals, about a 10th of a scoop will cover the entire surface.

Can I finally suggest that you consider investing in some Bacter AE which promotes biofilm development,-- ( the staple diet of shrimp )---it's not cheap, but it lasts me for months , or in your case probably years.

Hope you understand I'm not preaching, ------ I'm just trying to help you avoid pollution problems , and so enjoy your return to the hobby

NB------the same applies to Bacter AE, about a 20th of the scoop provided , every other day, will be plenty.

If you followed their guideline, your tank would turn solid ! :(

Aqua.....that is one sweet little tank to look at first thing in the morning.
I'm just gonna poke my nose in briefly, as I can't help noticing the containers of food and minerals, ( both by an excellent producer in my book ).

However, ( and I'm sure you already know this ), but I'm going to say it any !-------in a 10 Litre tank , with the likely initial stock level, you are needing to be VERY sparing with your feeding and mineral additions.
I would suggest you completely disregard any "feeding guide" on the containers, and start off with very tiny quantities....maybe even only 10% of what they tell you.

For instance, if you take about a quarter of a food stick, and then crush it in your, (clean) fingers, and add it to the tank, you will surely be amazed at the quantity of surface particles that are released ( those sticks are highly compressed ).

Likewise with the minerals, about a 10th of a scoop will cover the entire surface.

Can I finally suggest that you consider investing in some Bacter AE which promotes biofilm development,-- ( the staple diet of shrimp )---it's not cheap, but it lasts me for months , or in your case probably years.

Hope you understand I'm not preaching, ------ I'm just trying to help you avoid pollution problems , and so enjoy your return to the hobby

Very good points raised, a little really goes a long way in a tank this small!

Hi. Thank you for posting about your tank. Im looking at it for inspiration when all the fish stores are stocked again??

Can I ask you about your setup?
How are you finding the Dennerle Bio CO2?
I also cannot do pressurised and thought that this system looked good.
Which set did you get as there are lots of different ones and not too many details on the web? ProShrimp stock a few of the products.

Also your filter, which one is it? does it have one of the extra clip on bits on the front?
Any help gladly received!!
Thanks.
Simon.

Hi. Thank you for posting about your tank. Im looking at it for inspiration when all the fish stores are stocked again??

Can I ask you about your setup?
How are you finding the Dennerle Bio CO2?
I also cannot do pressurised and thought that this system looked good.
Which set did you get as there are lots of different ones and not too many details on the web? ProShrimp stock a few of the products.

Also your filter, which one is it? does it have one of the extra clip on bits on the front?
Any help gladly received!!
Thanks.
Simon.

Hi Simon,

I got the dennerle bio co2 from pro shrimp, it's very simple to use; and it gave me great results in this tank size, it lasts 30 days so it's easy to schedule in new cylinders.

The set is this one:

//www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/co2/344-dennerle-bio-co2-bio-starter-set-4001615030082.html

Looks to be out of stock, but id message them and ask for an update :) replacement cylinders are £5.99 per month, which isn't bad at all considering.

It'll never be pressurised co2 but this grew plants well for me combined with the cheap Chinese light. Easy Monte Carlo carpet.

The filter is the dennerle corner filter, this is a superb filter for the tank size, you can also get the dennerle corner bio co2 set, which is the same as the one I linked above but has an attachment to pump co2 into the filter outlet :)

The shrimp guard is purchased separately and clips onto the front

Thank you! I was just looking at the CO2 Nano set in CO2 supermarket. As I am setting up from scratch the price is really building up.
Have contacted PShrimp about the Tank and so will wait for the Bio set also and give it a go. Whilst saving some cash!
I was concerned the one that attaches to the filter may struggle with the tubing, coming out of the tank? I guess that they have prepared for this already though.
I am guilty of over thinking things!!

Glad to hear the filter is good! Did you swap the internal filter floss over? You can buy a little cage thing for it so that you can stuff whatever you want into it... apparently although I imagine it is quite a small space?

Thanks for answering my questions!

Have a good day.
simon

Thank you! I was just looking at the CO2 Nano set in CO2 supermarket. As I am setting up from scratch the price is really building up.
Have contacted PShrimp about the Tank and so will wait for the Bio set also and give it a go. Whilst saving some cash!
I was concerned the one that attaches to the filter may struggle with the tubing, coming out of the tank? I guess that they have prepared for this already though.
I am guilty of over thinking things!!

Glad to hear the filter is good! Did you swap the internal filter floss over? You can buy a little cage thing for it so that you can stuff whatever you want into it... apparently although I imagine it is quite a small space?

Thanks for answering my questions!

Have a good day.
simon

Hi Simon,

The tubing is regular size and fits easily out of most tank lids, including the dennerle 10l :) it actually has a little connection in the corner bio set that is easier to position the tube while allowing the spray bar to be positioned differently also.

Yeah I shoved a sponge in, but there's plenty of different methods and ways to do it, you could even cut a sponge to size. It is a small filter, very small; however it is absolutely silent, high performing and well made, I really recommend them.

In terms of the bio co2, as long as you have lighting that isn't fiercely bright, it's likely to get the job done. I actually ordered some more dennerle bio co2 for one of my 10l's so I can always upload here and show you in a couple of weeks :)

And no problem at all on the questions, I'm no expert on here but I do love nano's; good to discuss with fellow enthusiasts and share experience!

Have you considered starting a journal on here for your tank?

Amazing, thank you. Answering all my questions. Its so helpful. My last tank was an Arcadia Arc. I had it running for a few years. No co2 but LC which i have learnt is Liquid Carbon. Then, people were using sugar and yeast but with varied success and certainly not lasting a month, so the Dennerle system really seems a lot better.

The whole filtration debate is very confusing. Maybe I am watching too much of the Green Aqua posts on youtube. They would run a massive canister for a 30 Ltr nano tank without a doubt!

I am going for an 8 Watt Dennerle clip on light. The 30 ltr tank comes with a 6 watt but i thought Id boost it up a bit and fancy doing a dry start for a few weeks too.
Its all an exciting experiment and you really do learn so much bloody quickly!!

Journal wise, I guess I will document the journey from the start, and post a little bit delayed if you know what I mean? It would be horrible if I made a total hash of it after 2 weeks!

Keep you posted on what ever arrives in the post next. It should be an Oase heater which I got for a steal from water gardening direct along with some planting tools, which were also a great price. Shame they dont sell Dennerle stuff!!

Thanks again!!
Simon

Amazing, thank you. Answering all my questions. Its so helpful. My last tank was an Arcadia Arc. I had it running for a few years. No co2 but LC which i have learnt is Liquid Carbon. Then, people were using sugar and yeast but with varied success and certainly not lasting a month, so the Dennerle system really seems a lot better.

The whole filtration debate is very confusing. Maybe I am watching too much of the Green Aqua posts on youtube. They would run a massive canister for a 30 Ltr nano tank without a doubt!

I am going for an 8 Watt Dennerle clip on light. The 30 ltr tank comes with a 6 watt but i thought Id boost it up a bit and fancy doing a dry start for a few weeks too.
Its all an exciting experiment and you really do learn so much bloody quickly!!

Journal wise, I guess I will document the journey from the start, and post a little bit delayed if you know what I mean? It would be horrible if I made a total hash of it after 2 weeks!

Keep you posted on what ever arrives in the post next. It should be an Oase heater which I got for a steal from water gardening direct along with some planting tools, which were also a great price. Shame they dont sell Dennerle stuff!!

Thanks again!!
Simon

Glad to hear you're on track! I would say don't be afraid to post failures as well as success, we all have them; even the members on here that are really knowledgeable or respected aquascapers :)

Back