• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Simple question about Co2

jimi

Does it matter if the co2 drop checker goes blue at night when the lights are off or should there be enough co2 in the water 24 hours a day to keep it green?

Only asking as I gave a lot more surface movement to my tank yesterday and this morning before the lights are on the drop checker is blue.

Cheers
James

Yes it's does matter if it goes blue, as it is a good indication of gaseous exchange on the surface, so excess CO2 is lost from the surface so pH increases, there is no O2 production at night by the plants so if the DC turns blue we are having gaseous exchange so therefore the tanks supply of O2 is being maintained.
Plus if the CO2 wasn't being lost the [CO2] would increase pH would drop and if this happen enough some species would start gasping for air in an attempt to drive off the CO2 in their blood, as [CO2] of the blood is the main driving force of respiration although some fish do also have O2 rector's in their gills.

But in a nutshell a DC that turns blue at night is GOOD :thumbup:

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back