• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Simple regimen advice

srpg1970

Seedling
Hi, after a long term illness and the arrival of a child, my Trigon 250L planted aquarium was completely embarrassing! Hadn't done a water change for 14 months! BBA everywhere, cabomba was only plant left, somehow fish had survived.
Been back to work for a few months now and have taken a week off, in between toddler chasing I've started on the tank, cleaned filter, glass, lights(led's) and ripped out all plants, tomorrow removing wood to treat with hydrogen peroxide and wire brush to remove BBA, also removing the top layer of volcanic gravel to treat with H2O2.
Will then start replanting, l've had a high tech setup for 20 years with wonderful results; CO2, daily ferts etc, but for the next few years I need to simplify everything, especially in case I have a relapse. I was planning on using Seachem Excel or Neutro CO2 instead of actual CO2, plus a liquid fertiliser such as Aquavitro Envy or Neutro T, plus fertiliser root tabs maybe.
Any advice would be really appreciated on additives and suitable plant species.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Hi, thanks for the swift reply, been a bit overwhelmed by all the various often conflicting info out there, so appreciate the advice, I was actually about to edit my post to include TNC complete as an option, at between £15 to £30 (once or twice a week) a year for my 250L tank seems economical as well.
Will check out the plants tomorrow.
Cheers Steve

Hi, there is a lot of info out there.

I try and keep.it simple. I never test water, i never chase particular numbers. Ive seen people again and again on here tying themselves in knots with chemistry
, often pointlessly.

I tend to have the same attitude to equipment. Most stuff works well.enough to allow you to be successful. Dont stress over brand x versus brand y. The difference is most likely not that significant.

Main thing is light, and getting the right intensity/duration, especially in non co2 tank. Thats been trial and error. But ive just bodged lights with greadeproof paper or masking tape to.drop intensity if they are too bright.

Some would probably be horrified by my approach, but it does keep it less of a faff.

K

Back