• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Single Fish/Shrimp Deaths

Hi All,

Last week I bought 3 new otos, already two have died so I'm back to 3 again. The thing is nothing dies at the same time so I cannot figure out the cause. I Seem to lose single fish and shrimp randomly.

I've finally resolved my brown hair algae so id hate to play with my gas again. If it was gas wouldn't more die together?

Could it be lack of food? I Now have amano shrimp which may clear up what the otos would eat.

Im sure my water quality is ok, although a test strip seemed to show chlorine slightly last time even though I always use dechlorinator
Im hot on water changes so should be fine.

What would you suggest?

Hi mate, it can't be right if your saying there chlorine? We need more info please, how are you cleaning your filter is my first question?

Sorry had to ask that as to start at the beginning. Wasn't implying your a numpty.:) just the chlorine made me think. Is the water you add to the tank the same temperature or near too,?

Hi Richard, If you have doubts at all about your water quality I would suggest lots of water changes until it settles down. I would do a water change of 30-50% daily if it were mine.

As for the otos, I wouldn't use them as a yardstick for your water quality. It is common for otos to live a couple of weeks and suddenly die.
I have found if you can get them beyond the first month they usually are okay. They are great little foragers for food and will live happily on what algae and scraps they can find. Some do put algae wafers or similar in but I find they are usually shy feeders on such items. When feeding flakes I like to crumble some up really fine, this way the small crumbs settle to the bottom and on leaves and are readily taken by shrimps, my dwarf corrys and otos.

Harry.[DOUBLEPOST=1396354369][/DOUBLEPOST]
What running temperature is good for otos do you know?

Mine are fine in 25 deg C.

Try running and airstone in your water the night before you use it to top your tank up and I don't advise using warm tap water to be honest. ( copper tank?) I'd boil cold. Before I started using ro I was not using declorinator I just ran air through it to expell it worked ok for me but depends on your water. Also use your thermometer to test water before adding as you could be 10 degrees,above or below who knows. Hands can't tell you accurately. Don't rely on your test kit either. if you have chlorine in your tank you could be battling new tank constantly and not building up the good stuff. If I'm way off just tell me to shut up.:D

Hi Kirk, well you may be right to the letter mate but I'm far more slap stick than that:)

I always use the hot water from the tap, not convinced anything more than minuscule amounts of copper will come from tanks or piping, unless the system isn't often used and water stands for long periods. To be fair most houses are piped in copper and most probably have combi boiler arrangements where hot water is instant and doesn't stand in a tank. As for temperature, mine gets filled with a jug as it's only 80 ltr size and I never change more than about 30 ltrs. I use about 4/5ths cold to 1.5 from the hot tap and when mixed into the tank water the thermometer never moves.

Mind you it's just me, near enough is usually about right unless it's ferts or medicines/additives.:lol:

Oh well the ball is rolling.:D I'm going back to sorting my new toy out from co2 art. :p

just noticed you're using a dip stick. I nice little gadget but it's only for a quick indication. I am not going into a fight with everybody but I doubt that chlorine is the cause, in fact the levels of chlorine in tap water aren't harmful at all. In your case I think it's more an ammonia or nitrite problem. My suggestion if you haven't got any drip test to take a water sample and ask your local fish supplier to do a proper liquid test if you post the result here for sure we are able to help you a bit further.

best regards, Maurits

Back