• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Size is important! (Filter WxDxH) Which external?

Simon D

I am torn between a Fluval 405 & Tetratec EX1200. Or is there an Eheim that'll fit? Read on....

The Fluval 405 has a width of around 245mm and if I remove the door hinges on my cabinet, I could shoehorn it it in there at a bit of an angle (I would replace the hinges with magnetic catches, enabling me to take the door away and have full access to the filter. MA are currently selling these for a penny under the hundred pound mark. I know you can get them for ten to twenty pounds less online but would prefer the peice of mind to have someone tangible to go to if there was a problem.

Tetratec EX1200 220mm(w) x 220mm(d) x380mm(h). This fits better in my current cabinet and the notorious "The Living Seas" are doing them for £69.99. Having read reports of this outfit would I actually get a EX1200 and how long would it take? (opinion is split from my understanding).

Other options please help! I would love to get a new Eheim external (I've always been a fan of Eheim!) that would fit in the available space in my cabinet 245mm(w) x 250mm(d) Height is virtually irrelevant at upto 550mm. Price is secondary to performance. (I don't mind paying for a quality, reliable product)

I've read James Clarkes thread on the faults that Tetratec have put their hands upto, does this mean that the new ones supplied from reputable dealers have been corrected?

Any advice and/or experience with afore mentioned products would be gratefully appreciated. Which way would you go?

I've just been messing around with my Eheim today, a 2128. If you're not a fan of the internal heat system then the 2028 is the same dimensions at 210x210mm. All in all it's a nice bit of kit, I love the aquastop over the old Fluval 104 I have.

get the TT ex1200. so much better and they have pretty good customer service.
fluvals on the other hand i have found to be awful. leaky, poor flow and noiser than the TT. oh and not to forget harder to maintain. the TT's are a dodle.

TLH said:
I've just been messing around with my Eheim today, a 2128. If you're not a fan of the internal heat system then the 2028 is the same dimensions at 210x210mm. All in all it's a nice bit of kit, I love the aquastop over the old Fluval 104 I have.

Thanks for the reply

I'm a fan of anything that reduces the amount of hardware in the tank! I'd love to have a heater fixed in the external or inline and am going to have one of Ed's reactors which will also be fiited inline (obviously). What I'm concerned about is the flow reduction that is created by these add-ons. The 2128 only gives a circulation rate of 750lph so is probably good for a 60 ltr tank (which I have) but when I upgrade this to a 180 ltr tank it will be insufficeint and will have to upgrade the filter accordingly.

I don't want to have to change the extenal filter in six months time when I change the tank, so I want the best of both worlds. What I need is maximum circulation for minimum size.

I think I know the answer: I should just get a cheap external to keep the plants and water in tip-top condition and upgrade the filter when I upgrade the tank.

I'm sounding like my 2 year old daughter now, everything she says starts with "I want..........."

sumink fishy said:
The 2128 only gives a circulation rate of 750lph so is probably good for a 60 ltr tank (which I have) but when I upgrade this to a 180 ltr tank it will be insufficeint and will have to upgrade the filter accordingly.

I bought mine to run my 55g tank, roughly 190ltr. Is it not enough? The chart says suitable for 600 ltr tanks. Output is a little less than the TT ex1200 but not alot.

I ran my Tetratec EX1200 with an inline Hydor heater, a 2 foot long external reactor, and long tubing runs on my 160l tank.
When the plant mass was at it's highest (ridiculously dense jungle) I had a couple of small dead spots and came close to adding a flow pump. It was fine at all other times.

It is currently running an average plant mass, with just the heater inline and doing a great job.

Thanks Nick16

A more informative answer as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks George,

I had a good look at the Fluval at my local MA, they were very helpful and we took it out of the box and it all seemed fairly straight forward. I must admit I was impressed. I have read some bad press on them, hence looking for guidance here.

TLH said:
I bought mine to run my 55g tank, roughly 190ltr. Is it not enough? The chart says suitable for 600 ltr tanks. Output is a little less than the TT ex1200 but not alot.

I'm aiming for a minimum for 10 x turnover from a filter in a small heavily planted aquarium. In a larger tank I would be happy to supplement the filter turnover with a powerhead or circulation pump, I have a Koralia 1 in my 60 ltr which circulates the water at a rate of 1500lph. The additional circulation enables good distribution of ferts and CO2 to all corners and therefore plants thrive (theoretically!).

The answer to your question "Is it not enough?", maybe in the above. This dependes on your tank set-up (i.e. heavily planted?, easy or demanding plants?, CO2 injection via diffuser or reactor?, fert dosing?? etc.).

If you're getting the desired results then yes it's enough, but if not, poor turnover or more specifically poor circulation could be a factor.

I'm not an expert on this by any stretch of the imagination and no doubt will be corrected if I've made any erroneous statements.

a1Matt said:
I ran my Tetratec EX1200 with an inline Hydor heater, a 2 foot long external reactor, and long tubing runs on my 160l tank.
When the plant mass was at it's highest (ridiculously dense jungle) I had a couple of small dead spots and came close to adding a flow pump. It was fine at all other times.

It is currently running an average plant mass, with just the heater inline and doing a great job.

Thanks Matt, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Much appreciated

Back