• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Skellys 60P Build

Sk3lly

Hello guys. Newcomer to the forum and im starting with a build thread :)

ADA 60P
Eheim experience 150 filter
Bml xb 6300k lighting with solunar controller
Pressurised co2
ADA complete substrate system
Do!aqua Lilly pipes

Hardscape material undecided

Plant selection:
Utricularia Graminifolia
Pogostemon helferi (downoi)
Blyxa japonica
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Rotala bonsai
Pogostemon erectus
Rotala wallichii
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Fissedens moss

This build will be a slow work in progress as its a replacement for my existing tank. The logistics are a little tricky.

The tank is in my bedroom beside my bed and will be visible from two sides. Hoping to create a cliff side effect in the back left corner, with rockwork and substrate sloping to a flat carpet of UG.

Hoping many of you guys will follow and offer advice. Ive only been in the hobby a year and could do with scaping pointers.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tanks viewable from before sides look cool with a tall long rock formation + perhaps one shorter smaller formation (both with a 'beach' surrounding them). I've seen a few like this at a lfs and they can be quite striking. I'm not sure you'd need so many stems though (as per your list).

Well it's been slow but I have an update :)

Visiting TGM this Saturday to pick up my 60P, pick out a hard scape material and play around with scapes in store. Tank will hopefully be started next Tuesday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are the pics? :snaphappy:

GOGOGO ;)
Haha i dont even own the tank yet!! Lol. Saturday is still a little while away yet. Got my existing tank to tear down yet also, and setup a temporary home for my fish while the build progresses

4 hours in TGM and 7 hours driving! Long day!

Beautiful display tanks, great hard scape choices and amazing staff. James your a top bloke!

Changed my mind on scape ideas but here's the mock up I did in store

7115cbece128570980e8e1788b69608d.jpg

d5082e251fa42e5192142bbe2d9a961e.jpg

fb4975643fe1bfd9ef5153162c8109f3.jpg

b5019b4ffc497eea3dbd2827d8216798.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy

Looks promising.
What are you planing with the long part of the DW.
Will you cut it? Or will it be visible outside of the water? :)

It will stay as is and come out and above water level. Fissedens moss on the long branches submerged and maybe terrestrial moss emersed at a later date. What do you think?

Depends on how much of the DW will come out above the water Level.
But sounds good so far... :)

I think it's like 7 or 8" but might be more. Can anubias barteri nana petite be grown emersed and have roots in the water?

Hi all,
Can anubias barteri nana petite be grown emersed and have roots in the water?
It can, your best option would be to plant it just at/under the water line and it will then "climb out". This will take longer, but the leaves are less likely to burn.

This is normal Anubias barteri, it started out just submerged. The burn marks on the middle leaf are from contact with the light fixture, before I changed the CFL lamps for LEDs.

lid_up_zpsf2edd702.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks a lot Darrel. I will try this once im at a stage to prepare my driftwood

Right guys progress time and I have a meaningful update this time lol!

Hard scape and substrate, complete with power sand and additives, done and ready to flood

f917bade786adc32157d0e785c4c3e48.jpg

Planted with the plants I had in my holding tank. Another shipment to arrive Thursday. UG carpet, hygro polysperma rosanervig and anubias barteri nana to grow up the driftwood
c823bb37901887c8e2d94cbe17bd811c.jpg

Couple of completed shots. Still murky sorry
7787c9af87d5216d82ad0939818fe714.jpg

6901290ff251399bfa40821e49d7ba09.jpg

Another angle...
c75c27c5a70a0e94f37975c880f1235b.jpg

Heater has already been moved

Im going to do an update photo each Friday so i can see how the plant growth goes. Would be nice to get some comments and feedback from experienced aquascapers seeing as this is my first real attempt. There doesn't seem to be much interest on this thread :(

You've done a great job. The dw is awesome focal point. Perhaps the front center rock could be moved towards back right (so the dw roots aren't obscured)

You've done a great job. The dw is awesome focal point. Perhaps the front center rock could be moved towards back right (so the dw roots aren't obscured)
Thanks for the critique. Ive kept the open space ready for a carpet of UG. Not sure if the side view will look right if i moved the stone to this new position??

Nice start, I think you'll lose the smaller rocks in the dense blyxa once it takes off so maybe move them over to the right foreground, also the big rock at the back of the driftwood looks slightly at odds with the rest of the scape, is it holding the wood in place or could you tweak its placement ? Looking forward to seeing how the ug does for you, following your progress with interest.

Nice start, I think you'll lose the smaller rocks in the dense blyxa once it takes off so maybe move them over to the right foreground, also the big rock at the back of the driftwood looks slightly at odds with the rest of the scape, is it holding the wood in place or could you tweak its placement ? Looking forward to seeing how the ug does for you, following your progress with interest.
I may move some of that front blyxa and move my pogo helfuri into that corner. That is if it hasn't completely melted by then. It's the only plant affected by the move. As for the background rock, no it's not being used as a weight but it really doesn't fit too well any other way. I'm hoping the gap between it and the redmoor gets disguised by plant growth overtime

Back