• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Skinz180189's Old 40L Planted Breeder - No Longer Running

skinz180189

Been out and purchased a Superfish Aqua-Qube 40 today. Cost me £55 instead of £70 (they had it listed online at the cheaper price), and I got the driftwood for £2.78. This is purely a tank for dropping the molly and guppy fry from my 60L into, although I may get an albino bristlenose in there on Algae patrol.

Quick image;
Breeder.jpg

Spec is as follows;
Superfish Aqua-Qube 40L Tank with Glass Lid
Cheap Filter (Will replace this with an Eheim Aquaball in the near future)
18W of Light (1.8WPG)
No Heater as of yet (will get one soon)

Substrate - JBL Aquabasis, topped with black gravel

Planting List so far;
Java Moss on the wood
Water Wisteria towards the back
Spiral Vallis down the left hand side - blending into the wisteria at the back

Not sure what to do with the foreground yet, shall have to trail through some plants.

Re: Skinz180189's 40L Planted Breeder

aaronnorth said:
how about marsilea or a moss carpet. Nice and easy to handle :thumbup:

You want 1 fish in there just so you can keep the bacteria alive, a BN might be too big though, how about a few ottos instead?

The lower the maintenance the better, it's quite hard to access the tank where it is!

Never thought about Otto's, I'm just a plec wh0re lol. Will check them out though.

Done some purchasing to ease my lid woes!

Purchased the following;

Black Gravel
3m of Transparent Blue Airline
Tetratec APS50 Air Pump
6" Airstone
Eheim Jager 50W Heater

Just waiting on the JBL Aquabasis and I can start setting the tank up.

LFS is looking into getting another Glass lid, however, I think it may be better making a plastic one. He's also going to get some Otocinclus in for me, as he only has one left. I've also adjusted the lighting unit so it sits under my shelves a bit better.

"Uninspiring" pile of wood and rocks that I'll be recreating in the tank...
26072009338.jpg

Still waiting on this Aquabasis. Itching to receive that so I can crack on. Water Wisteria is currently residing in the 60l tank until I can set this one up. Have 2 pots of 4 Leaved Clover Marsilea ordered for the foreground. Moss is going on the wood so not using that.

Air pump arrived today, seems nice and quiet too. Very important when it's right next to my bed!

Tank is now pretty much setup. Still have the wood to moss, and the marsilea to plant when it arrives.

Planting has changed however. I have 3 mature amazon swords, 12 mature spiral vallis and a cryptocyrne sp. in there.

Water is cloudy as hell, frequent water changes?

saintly said:
skinz180189 said:
Water is cloudy as hell, frequent water changes?

yep.

skinz180189 said:
and the marsilea to plant when it arrives.

do you know hoe to plant this?

From what I've read, split it up and stick into the substrate.

ahh ok,

if it happens to be this variety....

Marsilea hirsuta

and it comes in its emerged form(which it may) you might want to consider cutting it down to about an inch and plant. there will be no foliage on it at all but it will grow.

saintly said:
ahh ok,

if it happens to be this variety....

Marsilea hirsuta

and it comes in its emerged form(which it may) you might want to consider cutting it down to about an inch and plant. there will be no foliage on it at all but it will grow.

It's the "quadrophila" or whatever, the 4 leaved clover version. Pretty much the same though. I read on tropica's site to leave the emersed leaves on until it had spread and grown submersed leaves, then trim them.

Sneaky phone pic...
29072009345.jpg

skinz180189 said:
I read on tropica's site to leave the emersed leaves on until it had spread and grown submersed leaves, then trim them.

do it that way then mate :D

skinz180189 said:
Aye that's a good video that is. Needs stickying for planted tank beginners IMO.

it all abourt research. thats all i've done for the last year.you get out of it, what YOU put into it.

tropicas site has some good stuff on it, and there are one or 2 other sites with little nuggets of gold on them

saintly said:
skinz180189 said:
Aye that's a good video that is. Needs stickying for planted tank beginners IMO.

it all abourt research. thats all i've done for the last year.you get out of it, what YOU put into it.

tropicas site has some good stuff on it, and there are one or 2 other sites with little nuggets of gold on them

Aye. I always research plants/fish before I make a decision, but that's just my nature lol.

The filters aren't that loud unless you have bubble trapped in them? Also, Aren't aquaballs expencive? Surely an external filter would be more suitable?

Back