• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Skinz180189's Old 40L Planted Breeder - No Longer Running

Re: Skinz180189's 40L Planted Breeder

Garuf said:
The filters aren't that loud unless you have bubble trapped in them? Also, Aren't aquaballs expencive? Surely an external filter would be more suitable?

Aquaball cost me £15. Again, I've nowhere for an external. No it's just noisy as hell, have tried getting any air out. Cheap blahblahblahblah.

baron von bubba said:
skinz180189 said:
. No it's just noisy as hell, have tried getting any air out. Cheap blah.

If only you researched yer hardware as much as the plants/fish! :p

It was thrown in with the tank!

Gill - Thankyou.

Planted the Marsilea, trimmed it down to about an inch in length.

Quick shot showing the Marsilea is in (can barely tell yet)
DSC_0290.jpg

I officially hate Aquabasis. Cleaned pretty much 3/4s of the water out, cleaned everything, then the swords decided to uproot themselves. So my water is now cloudy as hell again, grrrr.

Trimmed the crypt(s) up, 1 of the 3 had completely melted so that's been chucked, the other 2 are very bare, a few leaves between them.
Some of the Marsilea are growing heads, a lot of dead vallis has been chopped out, one sword has been moved to the 60l tank, and the other 2 have had a trim down.

Air stone is annoying me too, it's too big to fit between/behind any plant, so that will be getting replaced tomorrow. I'm supposed to be getting 2 otos either tomorrow or wednesday, but not so sure if I should now the water's so cloudy again.

you will need co2 to stop the crypts melting, they can compleatly melt ans still put out new leaves what ferts are you using? an air stone wont help the plants i had a co2 overload and added an airstone to the tank to help get rid of the co2!! you have to be verry gentil when the tank has just been planted or your plants will take off, i just left my tank for a week for the plants to get a grip then did a 50% water change.

Matt

mattyc said:
you will need co2 to stop the crypts melting, they can compleatly melt ans still put out new leaves what ferts are you using? an air stone wont help the plants i had a co2 overload and added an airstone to the tank to help get rid of the co2!! you have to be verry gentil when the tank has just been planted or your plants will take off, i just left my tank for a week for the plants to get a grip then did a 50% water change.

Matt

I'll just let the crypts melt and bin them then, I'm not co2ing. Just using flora boost ATM until that runs out, then it will be TPN+.

The swords have been in there a week and just hadn't rooted in, so I've ziptied them to some little pieces of slate. They were the only things uprooting themselves.

you could use easy carbo or excel and a yeast co2 kit to boost the plant growth, i used a ball of filter floss around the filter intake to help remove some of the clowdyness from my water. it helpes

Matt

i had a bit of root brake away from my crypts and i now have a plant in the middle of my HC carpet but i like it there!! they are like rambo or the plant world!! :lol:

mattyc said:
you could use easy carbo or excel and a yeast co2 kit to boost the plant growth, i used a ball of filter floss around the filter intake to help remove some of the clowdyness from my water. it helpes

Matt

Well I'm not using any co2 in my 60l and plant growth is good in there, it's not rapid, but it's a nice growth rate and everything seems fairly healthy. My filter has intakes all the way up it, but will look into it.

I've got some filter floss in the post, will wedge it in the gap between the filter box walls and the filter sponge. Will help keep fry out of there too.

Water has cleared up a fair bit overnight though, and there's some young snails popping up in there from the plants.

aaronnorth said:
what thickness of cappng substrate have you used?
1" minimum is reccomended ad i had no problems sticking by that.

It's not an inch thick at all. Probably 1cm, and used all my capping gravel I had. Doesn't matter, I'll have to live with it.

Doh, sharing a computer sucks!

Gaz

Another Quick Update...

Marsilea growth...
DSC_0343.jpg

Crypt...
DSC_0344.jpg

Overall shot...
DSC_0345.jpg

Have some filter floss in the aquaball now, it cleared my water up a treat.

A few growth observations;
The Marsilea seems to thrive in this tank, some stems have shot up over 10cm in a couple of weeks. Wisteria doesn't seem too happy, trimmed a lot of the dead/long stuff out (following the trimming guide on here), yet more dead stuff keeps appearing. Doesn't seem to rot from the base though. Trimmed up the amazon swords and they seem OK for now.

In all honesty though, I get the feeling this tank may need ripping out in a few months time. The only thing I'm doing different to the 60L is the aquabasis, and some higher light, yet this tank just doesn't seem anywhere near as happy as the other one. Maybe when some fish get in there things will change.

I realy think you are lacking in co2 in this tank, have you seen the triangle sort of like below. if you increase the light and ferts you need more co2. you have increased the light from your 60l and the ferts with the substraight but probably have less co2. this will make it verry dificult for the the plants to grow and survive :sick: !! using some easy carbo or excel will supply this co2 for the plants. you could even use a yeast co2 system like the one below for a whole £11.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nutrafin-CO2-...Fish?hash=item5ace998b76&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Light
Ferts Co2

Hope you get the problems sorted.

Matt :D

It will have to wait until payday, I've just had to spend a fortune on the car. If the vals continue to die until then, so be it.
I'm not yeast C02ing, I've got enough tubes and wires going in there without another one, and would like to actually have some space left on my bedside table!

Back