Slight rust on stand

neonplanet40

Hi Folks,

I got my large tank and metal stand out of storage last week. It has been in storage for around 3 years.

The stand as originally powder coated. However, there is now surface rust (and peeling paint) in a variety of areas. Nothing major and not excessive, but I do want to touch it up before the tank becomes live again.

Can anyone reccommend a paint I can use? Preferably gloss black or similar. I will most likely get a wire brush and rub away the surface dust before painting the stand.

Thank you.

Tucker90

Have you thought about powder coating it again?!

Very different but, I build motorbikes as another hobby, I have a guy reasonably local to me who charges £30 (cash) to chemi-strip and re-powder-coat old frames for me!

I know £30 is more than £10 on a can of paint but you will get an incredible finish and will last a lifetime if well maintained!

alan bruce

I'm a professional decorator and I would go with the powder coat it would be cheaper at £30. £10 would not cover for a tin of primer, undercoat and gloss.

tam

Hammerite - you can apply without undercoat etc. just need the one tin. I agree though - if it's only £20 more and less hardwork re-powdered coating is worth exploring.

neonplanet40

I'd need to find somewhere to get it powder coated though. I'll have a look locally and see what I can find.

Tucker90

I'd need to find somewhere to get it powder coated though. I'll have a look locally and see what I can find.

You’ll be surprised how many places do it! £30 might be in the cheap side as I’m a re-accruing customer and it’s always cash in hand but I can imagine it been much more!

Good luck finding somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neonplanet40

I have messaged a few places I can find and only one has got back to me so far with a quote of £70. For me, this is not something I am willing to pay.

sparkyweasel

Hammerite, as Tam suggested is good stuff. The original has a textured finish, but they now make a smooth one as well, in gloss or satin and a range of colours, including black. No primer needed and it is rust-resistant to help stop the rust coming back. Wire brush the loose rust off of course though. :)

Tucker90

I have messaged a few places I can find and only one has got back to me so far with a quote of £70. For me, this is not something I am willing to pay.

That’s expensive!! Hopefully someone comes back with a more reasonable price!

As others suggest, Hammerrite or rust-oleum is pretty good! Give it a bloody good scrub down! If you want to go all out a red oxide primer wouldn’t do any harm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk