• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow burning 22l nano

Steve Smith

I've had this little tank running for about 8 months now, and it's been through stages of neglect over that short time. But now, I'm getting on top of it and maintaining things regularly (as I should have been doing from the start). Luckily it's been relatively slow growing, and the only issue I've really had is some hair algae. I'm slowly getting rid of that thankfully.

Specs:

Aquarium: Aqua One AquaNano 30x30x30 (LxWxH)
Lighting: Aquael Leddy Smart 2 Plant LED 6w
Filtration: Built-in sump style
Heating: 25w
CO2: None - Low tech
Hardscape: Redmoor root
Substrate: ADA powersand/Colombo Flora Base
Ferts: Tropica Premium Nutrition (for now)

Planting:
Microsorum Pteropus 'Narrow'
Anubias (several mini species but can't remember which)
Crypt. (again, can't remember what!)
Beucephelandra sp.

Livestock:
4 Cardinal Tetra
1 Otocinclus
1 Assassin snail

Annoyingly, the powersand has worked it's way up to the surface, so I'll sort that out at some point.

Anyway, it's not much but it's a start :)

IMG_0028.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers! Life has been very up and down over the last 4 or 5 years, but it's on a massive up at the moment, having just got married :) Currently trying to persuade the wife that a 55 litre cube would look fantastic in the living room ;)

That's good to hear, and congratulations. Tell your wife that a 600 litre monster would look much better. After that a 55 litre cube will look like a very good compromise ;)

Just had the conversation over lunch, I've got the green light for a new tank, but not quite the 55 litre. So, this is going to get upgraded to a 42 litre 35x35x35 cube, with a JBL Cristalprofi e402 external filter hopefully (if I can get it all to fit in the tiny space I have). The JBL seems to be a good tiny sized filter that will (hopefully) fit into the cabinet. This is all being dictated by the 35cm cube stand/cupboard the tank is on. I'm not allowed to change it lol.

The upgraded tank will fill the cabinet completely (cabinet is an IKEA Eket combo), which is why I have to find a 35x35cm cube. And, the filter needs to fit into the bottom section of the cabinet, which measures 31.5cm x 31.5cm x 31.5cm internally. The JBL filter apparently measures 28.8cm tall including hose connectors so fingers crossed I can fit it in... If not, I'll have to look at getting an ugly internal filter.

New filter arrived today, a JBL Cristalprofi e402. It looks like a great little filter and I’m pleased to say it fits the cabinet. I’ll need to make a hole for the hoses but that will be easy enough.

I’ve also ordered the new tank, so hopefully I’ll have that next week.

Quick picture to show how tight things are...

EC830915-3AEC-4428-9822-C0C981B7EDE1.jpeg

Looking grand
& so much tidier than my scramble :oops:

Which tank did you order?
Or are we supposed to wait in anticipation :nailbiting: for developments :D

(Am I the only one that constantly sees :walkingdead: while looking for :nailbiting: )

I’ve gone for a 35cm cube from an eBay seller called AquaLiveUK. I struggled to find a 35cm cube as I’m restricted by the cabinet (which I’m not allowed to replace )

I got a quote from one of the tank builders mentioned in a thread someone posted on the forum, but it was out of my budget unfortunately.

It only takes some cable ties or velcro straps to tidy things up :) I’m naturally messy but my better half is the opposite, so I’m kept in check on that one!

What a mare...I'd maybe ask the retailer to add a bit more protective internal packaging next time.
Either way, hope you get your new tank sorted soon.

Yeah, it was in a box, with thin half cm thick polystyrene around the outside of the box and then a layer of bubble wrap. All wrapped in a black plastic bag. Not great packaging!

In hindsight, the glass is actually quite thin (4mm). I'll be getting a full refund so I think I'm going to shop around and pay a bit more for 5 or 6mm glass. I guess the old saying is true, buy cheap buy twice... Too good to be true at £35 I guess!

hey steve, good to have you back scaping.

I’m naturally messy but my better half is the opposite, so I’m kept in check on that one!
umm yes i can def see that since you met her. The days of you coming fish shopping with me and you being a scruff bag are long gone. ;)

shame about the tank, have you had alookat the fluval flex looks a decent bit of kit with an internal sump.

FIreAqua do a 35 x 36 x 35 cube with 5mm glass
They're at Interzoo so presumably sold in EU, UK (out of China)

Yes, my bachelor days are well and truly past me :) I’ve done a lot of growing up in the last 5 years, starting to feel my age now (40 next year?!)

Thanks for the tips. I’ve had a quote from Wharf aquatics for a 35cm cube in 6mm float glass for £38, so I think that’s the way I’m going to go. It does mean a 200 mile round trip but it’s worth it :) I just need to figure out when I can do it...

Still, I need to get my refund first :)

Watch this space...

FIreAqua does ultra clear (or whatever you want to call it) glass & nice silicon work etc

(not to dissuade you, just realized I should've mentioned that above - missed the Edit time of course :oops:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on Fire Aqua. Their site looks nice! It's too late now though, Wharf Aquatics are building me a cube in 6mm float glass for £38, and I'll go collect it on the 12th May. They didn't want any deposit, just pay on collection. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I also got the distance wrong, it's not quite a 200 mile round trip, more like 150! Hah. Still, worth it to avoid breakages in shipping.

I got lucky and managed to buy 3 pots of Tropica narrow java fern and a pot of anubias nana from my local Pets at Home for cheap (the vacuum packed style pots). They were marked down to half price due being older stock but looked completely fine with no dead leaves. Somehow they discounted them further (I think they were £6 or 2 for £10 originally) so I ended up with the 4 pots for £10?!

The larger leaf size of the anubias should work well as a contrast to all the smaller anubias I already have, hopefully...

So, my planting for the new 35cm cube will go something like:

Existing anubias petite, java fern narrow, crypts and bucephelandra.
Anubias nana
more bucephelandra (depending what's available)
Hydrocotyle Tripartita
Micranthemum Monte Carlo
Rotala sp 'green'
Ludwigia palustris

Not going to lie, I'm taking inspiration from George Farmer's low budget aquascape when it comes to some of the planting. It's been a while since I grew plants properly so no harm in taking George's experience and seeing how I get on!

I'll start a new journal when the time is right :)

Last edited:
Back