• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sluggesh growth after rescape

Themuleous

Hi all,

I re-scaped my work tank a few months back. The HC it had in it was going great guns, but since the re-scape the dwarf hair-grass I replace it with has taken a good 8 weeks to properly establish and start growing? I've had this on other tanks after a re-scape. It seems that re-using a substrate is not the best idea? Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing? All I did was to water the gunk out of the substrate with tap water.

Sam

Sam

Some of my plants especially one P.Helferi stopped growing - started losing leafs - just like it was dormont - now new shoots are starting to show - do aquatic plants go into a dormont stage like the plants in the garden.

Regards
Paul.

I think this is common with dwarf hairgrass. When I've planted it, there seems to be a long period where it sits and sulks before new growth starts properly. I wondered if it was because it is grown emergent and takes a long time to adjust? Definitely harder to get going than a lot of other foreground plants. It also seems to get covered in detritus during this stage and needs a lot of attention to keep it clean.

i always plant a little bit of acicularis smack up against the side of tank glass. This way i can see instantly what's happening.

for me, brand new substarte gives me peace of mind.

Interesting thoughts, thanks all.

It could be a dormant or adjusting period, had the same thing with HC in the past. I can see new roots and runners growing in the substrate, so its getting there, just slowly! Got a lot of stick off my work mates for getting the HC looking perfect and then ripping it all out! The hairgrass is letting the side down at the moment!

Like Saintly says, I guess a new substrate would just rule it out, whatever it is.

Sam

Ive found the same issue, but LondonDragon told me to trim the hairgrass before planting it will promote growth.
Im currently using a low tech tank, and have noticed it has taken about 8 weeks for it to send out green grass again.
At one point I thought it had melted away and therefore I just left it to it.

However over the last few weeks there is more lush green coming from it and I use plain gravel instead of a branded substrate to promote growth.

Give it time as everyone else says.

I have set up two tanks with Eleocharis parvula. The first one from a while ago took a couple of months for it to start growing, then it exploded in to life.

The current one, which I have recently started has the Eleocharis parvula growing really well from the outset. Both tanks are/were EI, so I don`t really know what the reason for this is. I planted it early so that it had a chance to get going before the Glosso started to overtake it, but it is the other way round at the moment. I have to keep cutting runners back to give the Glosso a chance. The mosses have no chance of catching up. :rolleyes:

These things are sent to try us, Sam.

Dave.

Back