• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small epiphytes high light

Ash_bash

Greetings all
I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains?

I started a new scape last week, I'm going for an overgrown old tree stump look that's covered with moss and small plants.

At the moment the "stump" is looking alittle dark and lifeless compared to the florescent green carpet of Monte Carlo.

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for some small epiphytes that will make the tree stump look like it has abit of life too it. At first I was thinking of sticking more nana bonsai/petite around front but not sure if they can handle high light, I love buces too but I can't help but feel they look alittle dark and will be overrun with algae in the high light.

At the moment I've stuck some neglected fissidens moss over it with a random collection of Buce from the previous tank on the lower portions.
I've got some anubias nana bonsia running up the side and bolbits running up the back.

So good people, what would you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_204119_539.jpg
    IMG_20220429_204119_539.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20220429_204128_512.jpg
    IMG_20220429_204128_512.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20220429_205034_571.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205034_571.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20220429_205040_539.jpg
    IMG_20220429_205040_539.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 159
  • Anubias var. pangolino is a wonderful looking small leaved variety if you want something a bit brighter than Bucephalandra.
  • Hydrocotyle tripartita would look stunning wrapped around that stump, it loves high light and grows quickly like a vine towards light. It gives a nice dappled shade and will poke through algae.
  • Lagenandra meedboldii has quite large leaves but a stunning colour that would compliment the wood and it looks great when the leave splay out across the surface, but you would need to move plants beneath the shade if you have a focussed light source. You could attach it at the back if you wanted an alternative look. It may pick up algae but will grow fast in the right conditions. I haven't tried attaching it to wood myself. Anybody got any ideas?
  • Aridarum is a genus that has a lot to offer your aquarium. A. Caulescens is now quite common and would look stunning, but long narrow leaves. I do not grow it, but I assume it tolerates algae and doesn't mind high light. Anybody tried this?
  • Bolbitis Heudelotii Difformis - this will grow bigger than advertised in high light and it likes soft water. Not tried it personally.
  • Microsorum pteropus var. trident - it's a classic isn't it. Grows too large for my taste. Not quite what you are after because its a bit dark, a bit droopy, and a bit large.
  • Schismatoglottis - lots of interesting plants from this genus, probably benefit from carbon dioxide. S. roseospatha has some nice narrow upright leaves, a bit like Aridarums, but not that common. S. prietoi is more common now and people say it looks a bit like Anubias 'Petite'. I haven't tried any of these either.
  • I am told Cryptocorynes do okay on wood. I have had some kept in pots that exploded out sending their roots down... they just didn't care, but you need a suitable variety. Why we don't see more of this I do not know. Personally I would try C. albida brown. No problems with algae or high light.
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida - trimmed hard and kept small. But the leaves are still too big for you in my opinion.

Ah great advice Simon,
I've bought some Bolbitis Heudelotii Difformis
I've also bought some tiny crypts for around the bottom.
great idea with the Hydrocotyle tripartita, I've ordered a portion of it to trail up the side.
I've bidded on some anubias petite too.
can't wait to get it in the tank now!
many thanks

“True” needle leaf Java fern, the one that comes in from Asia is much smaller than the eu ones. Java fern petite or green gnome would be what I’d go for personally but both can take many months of sulking before feeling at home and really developing in my experience.

Ah great advice Simon,
I've bought some Bolbitis Heudelotii Difformis
I've also bought some tiny crypts for around the bottom.
great idea with the Hydrocotyle tripartita, I've ordered a portion of it to trail up the side.
I've bidded on some anubias petite too.
can't wait to get it in the tank now!
many thanks
How is the stump looking like now? I have pretty much the same concept tank that you have, with an old tree stump that's overgrown look. I have the stump mostly covered with Süsswassertang, anubias, and bucephalandra on it under higher light and they seem to not attract algae. The tank is Co2 injected though.

Back