• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small Loach Java fern and fast flow

Mr Loach

About to Set up a new tank which will Contain small loaches Clowns and sidthunki etc. I've struggled in the past Even with anubias With the fish biting holes in the leaves And biting the stems so that the leaves fall off. I am considering Adding Java fern on boxwood. Has anybody had any issues with this plant and loaches. The flow rate in the tankWill be quite fast Between 10 to 15 times tank volume. Any thoughts would be appreciated many thanks

If the clowns are plant destroyers then I think any plant you add will get tasted vigorously to begin with. The problem is that anubias has been targeted before so I think java fern will get the same treatment. I wouldn't put that off you trying though as I added some plants to my ancient clown loaches tank (plus silver dollar) and they have pretty much been left alone. One is a floater, najas guadalupensis, and the other java moss. The floater doesn't conflict with where they are most of the time but the java moss does and it's to fine, I think, to be worth worrying about. I do lose the odd strand now and again but it mostly stays in place. These are an initial test to see if I can add more species like the ones you mention plus bolbitis which does great in stronger currents. My flow is similar to yours and it's not an issue for plants.

My clowns leave the Java ferns alone, I have 6 clowns and a lot of Java.
I’ve noticed some Amazon swords I just put in have some holes punched in them but we’ll see…..
Vallis does okay too.

It’s basically big nice leaves they seem to like?

I say try it and see :)

Back