Small Plants With Small Leaves?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Lucy, 19 Oct 2007.

1. Lucy

Lucy Newly Registered

Can anyone suggest any plants (easy to get hold of, because I'm lazy :rolleyes: ) that stay small and have small leaves?

I'm creating a 1 litre pico tank and I want to make it look big and deep, so I need things that look big.. when really they aren't.. if that makes sense?

2. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

Glossostigma (commonly called just Glosso) is a very useful carpeting plant. Needs quite high light and good ferts/co2. Some people say itll only grow in soft water, but I grow it in hard hard water like a weed.

Also,

Heminanthus callitrichoides (commonly called just HC) also very useful plant. its what graeme used in the FoF pico that he did with the orangy rocks in it. :) there are 2 varieties of Hemianthus, the other is micranthemoides. It has slightly larger leaves and a much more upright habit. HC is probably your best bet.

both of these are a perfect pico plant :) respond well to trimming and carpet very quickly. A tip though, make sure you plant it with tweezers, even the daintiest fingers will bruise the stems. Its a bit laborious! but worth it.

3. Lucy

Lucy Newly Registered

I think I'm going to try and make a tiny little DIY CO2 thing, so either of those should be ok. I hope.
    I had some.. I think it was HC.. that I got at the festival last year and that went yellow and floated off within a few months, but my lighting wasn't good.

I have hard water too.. hmm.. I guess I'll just buy whichever one of those I see first and see how it does.

I bought some stem plants and one that I'm definately going to try in the pico is parrotfeather? I think the lady said..
    The others I'm not sure, I might try a few little Java ferns I have that are sprouting from my big one. They don't seem to have grown big at all.

Is there anything else that's 'bushy' like java fern I could try?

4. Lozbug

Lozbug Member

Lucy - i'm gonna be ordering some plants online soon, so if you want somethign your not able to find, lemme know and i can add it to my order and pop in to post for ya!

--also making notes of the plants Matt mentioned for my own pico lol that festival has a lot to answer for lol

all i know im gonna use so far is dwarf hair grass......

5. Lucy

Lucy Newly Registered

oh cool, thanks Loz!
    Where are you ordering from? (so I can take a look and see about prices etc.)

6. Lozbug

Lozbug Member

plantsalive :)