• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small Plants With Small Leaves?

Lucy

Seedling
Can anyone suggest any plants (easy to get hold of, because I'm lazy :rolleyes: ) that stay small and have small leaves?

I'm creating a 1 litre pico tank and I want to make it look big and deep, so I need things that look big.. when really they aren't.. if that makes sense?

Glossostigma (commonly called just Glosso) is a very useful carpeting plant. Needs quite high light and good ferts/co2. Some people say itll only grow in soft water, but I grow it in hard hard water like a weed.

Also,

Heminanthus callitrichoides (commonly called just HC) also very useful plant. its what graeme used in the FoF pico that he did with the orangy rocks in it. :) there are 2 varieties of Hemianthus, the other is micranthemoides. It has slightly larger leaves and a much more upright habit. HC is probably your best bet.

both of these are a perfect pico plant :) respond well to trimming and carpet very quickly. A tip though, make sure you plant it with tweezers, even the daintiest fingers will bruise the stems. Its a bit laborious! but worth it.

I think I'm going to try and make a tiny little DIY CO2 thing, so either of those should be ok. I hope.
I had some.. I think it was HC.. that I got at the festival last year and that went yellow and floated off within a few months, but my lighting wasn't good.

I have hard water too.. hmm.. I guess I'll just buy whichever one of those I see first and see how it does.

I bought some stem plants and one that I'm definately going to try in the pico is parrotfeather? I think the lady said..
The others I'm not sure, I might try a few little Java ferns I have that are sprouting from my big one. They don't seem to have grown big at all.

Is there anything else that's 'bushy' like java fern I could try?

Lucy - i'm gonna be ordering some plants online soon, so if you want somethign your not able to find, lemme know and i can add it to my order and pop in to post for ya!

--also making notes of the plants Matt mentioned for my own pico lol that festival has a lot to answer for lol

all i know im gonna use so far is dwarf hair grass......

oh cool, thanks Loz!
Where are you ordering from? (so I can take a look and see about prices etc.)

Back