• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small shrimp that don't breed in the aquarium?

nry

Are there any small shrimp that won't breed in the aquarium? I ended up having to frequently cull the mixed batch which were sold as Amano (via eBay) as they bred like rabbits, had more shrimp than the usual snail pests!

I like the bumble bee shrimp but they appear to breed easily too - I know I could likely sell them on but I'd rather have as low maintenance as possible.

Have a google around for Orange and Green Dwarf Shrimp... don't see them that often, but some Maidenheads get both from time to time, and breeding is unreported afaik :)

Purple zebra too. My LFS has Orange shrimp in all the time and reckons they're the hardiest of them all.

Cheers all - is there truely the need for shrimp in a tank? I'm wondering if I need any or not after a little reading, or maybe I'll just live with the breeding and go for some bumble bee shrimp...always liked them.

Afraid not, Orange shrimp need a brackish stage to breed.

You don't need them. They do perform a function, but they're not totally necessary. I think they make an interesting addition that isn't fish ;)

Ah right, nice one Garuf. Didn't realise that. I think my LFS claimed they were cherries but orrange. That being said, the ones she had in may have been different to the ones you're talking about?

Garuf is right

true orange shrimps require brackish to breed so would be ideal. I believe they are Caridina sp not a neocaridiana (like cherries). They are fairly cheap too.

SteveUK said:
I hear that rednose shrimp need salt/brackish to breed. Might be worth researching them. They're pretty cool looking.
Don't think they need brackish water, just the fry just go through a larvae stage before they become full shrimplets.

JamesM said:
I think shrimp have more character than most small fish and I find them far more interesting personally.
I agree 100%.

Back