• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

small wiggle white larvae

Vinyl

Seedling
Hi my 1st Qs, i just did a water change and i have a small wiggle white larvae swimming around, any ideas what i should do.

Q2, also my shrimp are shedding there shell's, is it best to remove them?

sorry if thay are silly questions, this is my 1st tank.

thx vinyl

Vinyl said:
Hi my 1st Qs, i just did a water change and i have a small wiggle white larvae swimming around, any ideas what i should do.

Need to identify them first. Are they on the glass or moving through the water?

Vinyl said:
Q2, also my shrimp are shedding there shell's, is it best to remove them?

sorry if thay are silly questions, this is my 1st tank.

thx vinyl

No, the others will eat the shells. Good for them.

Hi thx for reply.

it was moving through the water, the bad thing is i cant see the damn thing now.

(the other shrimp will eat the shells, kool)

Now im on wiggle worm watch with GUN'S at the ready.....

Hi all, update on small white larvae/worm, thay are 1 to 2mm long, i have loads of them allover the glass now, any ideas what i should do to combat them.

thank vinyl

Can we get an image? If its name is Planaria then you can get treatment from an online store for them.

Hi sorry i dont have a camera, but iv'e just looked at some image's of Planaria worm and yes that's it im sure.

Hi
You may find that you get these on a newly started aquarium....they are harmless, cut back on your feeding of the shrimp.Do a water change and gravel clean.
They tend to appear if you have uneaten food on the substrate for a few days.
They will disappear after time.
hoggie

If you have a lot of them you can get rid of it with a treatment i think you get it from Aqua Essentials but not too sure. Because there has been reports of them attacking and killing shrimp.

reports of them attacking and killing shrimp

OH, that's not good, i will have to keep a good eye on them. Its funny ive only feed my shrimp twice and only a very small pellet, thay get all the food thay need from the tank im sure, there is a lot of shrimp poo in the tank, can the Planaria worm be feeding off the shrimp poo...??

Hi all,
If they are small, white Planaria you can forget about them attacking anything more mobile than fish eggs, even though all Planaria (or Turbellaria, Tricladida or Platyhelminths) are technically carnivores. Some of the other Platyhelminths are quite predatory on crustaceans, including the larger white Dendrocoelom lacteum. I'm told that the usual Platyhelminths in tanks is/are a Dugesia sp. or spp., but they are mainly fairly difficult to ID.

If you really have a lot of them, I'd try trapping them with a small piece of meat or fish in a fine net, if you collect this after lights out you will be amazed how many you've caught. I did this for a few nights, but I was still catching as many on the 3rd night as the 1st so eventually I decided to ignore them.

cheers Darrel

i had these in my shrimp tank and have never seen them attacking even baby shrimp ,do be aware that if you use medication that you may end up killing all your shrimp as they can be very sensitive to meds all i did was add 6 green neon tetras to the tank and they ate them and when they had finished them off they started takeing shrimp fry so i took them out again simple

Back