smallest fish?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Ben22, 1 Nov 2012.

1. Ben22

Ben22 Member

As the title states, does anyone know the smallest type of tropical fish?

2. BigTom

BigTom Forum Moderator Staff Member

Paedocypris progenetica is the smallest fish in the world, and I think was the smallest known vertebrate for a while, but has now been edged out by some sort of frog. Probably unlikely to find any for sale though...

There are various Danionella species which are incredibly small and sometimes show up on importer's lists. Danionella dracula being probably the most common one. In terms of fish commonly available for sale, I'm struggling to think of anything much smaller than Boraras micros and Boraras urophthalmoides. There are at least one or two minute goby species as well, but I really don't know anything about them.

hoticn likes this.
  3. Ben22

Ben22 Member

thanks for the quick reply, the Dracula fish made me laugh! is the Boraras micros related to the tetra fish at all? Apologies if I'm asking silly questions.

4. BigTom

BigTom Forum Moderator Staff Member

Not closely related at all, no. They're basically rasboras (cyprinids) rather than tetras (characins).

5. Ben22

Ben22 Member

Thank you dude!!