Smallest Internal Filter

I was hoping to go very low tech on a 10L Nano but It seems a small filter would be very beneficial, especially if I want to have Java Moss. I’ve had a good look at internal filters and none of them seem particularly small. Have any of you seen any really small filters you’d recommend? Failing that maybe a tiny power head.

Keith GH

Aqua sobriquet
The smallest filter I know of and easily concealed is the old and reliable Undergravel Filter.

One of my tanks was about a 10lt empty and it worked perfectly. I also had them on two larger tanks.

Keith:wave::wave:

Thanks again. I did “discover” the Dennerle Nano filter shortly after posting. It's actually quite nice looking as well compared to some others.
I was hoping to make a Java Moss wall at the back of the tank so I have to ask does the Dennerle have to go in the corner or can it fix on one side near the back?

I’ve also been having a look at an external canister type but most are too big or downright ugly! :lol:

Then again there’s HOB as well ...

tam

Just to go back a step... why does javamoss require a filter? It grows quite happily in a jar on a window sill with zero filtration. If it's to remove mulm, you could floof it with a turkey baster at water change time to clean it out.

Just to go back a step... why does javamoss require a filter? It grows quite happily in a jar on a window sill with zero filtration. If it's to remove mulm, you could floof it with a turkey baster at water change time to clean it out.
Thanks for that. I’m not sure if someone on here said I need moving water or whether I read it somewhere else but it was recommended for Java Moss.

Edvet

Global Moderator
Staff member
If you let the water fall in from some height (1/2-1 inch) you won''t neeed the skimmer, that should keep the surface clean.

Or just run an air stone for 15 mins a day... or I’ve hidden little air powered sponge filters I’ve made from my spare bits box in nano scapes like this.