• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Smart plug extension leads

Siege

Bit of a follow up from Ryan’s tank journal.

does anyone use these. If so what should I be looking for when buying one (I want 3).

my only concern is that if the internet goes off they won’t work.

I have a iPad that lives not far from the tanks. Can this link on Bluetooth rather than wifi, so assume it won’t go off if has a constant connection?

Does it need a Constant connection at all or do they remember the programme?

Any pointers would be welcome as haven’t really got into the assisted home thing yet! :thumbup:

Not sure what specific one you are looking at, but I'd have thought most usually use your home network rather than the internet i.e. as long as your home's network is connected (not completely off due to a powercut) if your access to the internet is cut off temporarily it won't matter - the only thing it will prevent is you editing the set up from somewhere outside your home (i.e. via the internet rather than your wifi)... which you also couldn't do via bluetooth anyway. They usually store the information too, so it's only editing that you need the connection for. It's going to vary a bit between products so have a look at the set up instructions and see what they actually need.

I have been using TP-Link Smart plugs for ages without any problems. Decided to carry on with them to keep my smart objects on one system. Cannot abide having to use different apps for different systems.

TP-link have a six plug 'smart strip' in the US and a three plug one just out in the UK. They look good, decent price and comparable with most personal assistant tech (Alexa etc).

If they work like the plugs you need internet access only to set them up or control them remotely. After that they continue to work away as long as they have power.

Intend to get mine in six weeks or so when my new tank arrives.

You do need to check with these "smart plugs" their behavior after a power failure. Some can only cope with very short power cycles before forgetting their settings, some require internet access after a power failure to retrieve there settings. So just watch out.

I have been using the TP-link model Kasa for over a year now. They store their schedule on the device and when powered back up after a power outage the return to the State they should currently be on during a schedule.
You can also set up groups of plugs to turn on and off for events like water changes. They work thru WIFI and you can check their status at any time you are away from home.

I use a cheap 4 way sonoff switch, to control lights, co2 and air pump.

If you have a power cut everything connected turns off, if you loose your WiFi connection everything stays as is. I'm guessing the commands are sent via a remote server.

Back